+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers-

I really need your advice on an acrylic tank I recently purchased. It was made custom by a really good shop in LA. I am new to acrylic tanks so I am not sure what is normal and what isn't in terms of crazing and bubbles.

The tiny bubbles you see in the seams have been there since day 1. Now I'm noticing what looks like strips of air or glue along the seam. I am not sure if this was there already, or its recent. Is this sort of thing normal? I am going to contact the manufacturer tomorrow.

Thanks everyone,

Brian

IMG_5784.jpg

IMG_5785.jpg

IMG_5786.jpg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Reefers-

I really need your advice on an acrylic tank I recently purchased. It was made custom by a really good shop in LA. I am new to acrylic tanks so I am not sure what is normal and what isn't in terms of crazing and bubbles.

The tiny bubbles you see in the seams have been there since day 1. Now I'm noticing what looks like strips of air or glue along the seam. I am not sure if this was there already, or its recent. Is this sort of thing normal? I am going to contact the manufacturer tomorrow.

Thanks everyone,

Brian

View attachment 1031673

View attachment 1031674

View attachment 1031675

fyi , the hazy stuff on the glass is the plastic wrap it was wrapped in

Top Shelf Aquatics

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've never owned an acrylic tank, the few I have seen do not have anything in the seams like your posting. The seams are always "seamless" with nothing in or around them. No bubbles, crazing, air gaps, etc.

One of those seams looks like they used glue to adhere the panels together? It should be chemically welded (melted) together with solvent.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I've never owned an acrylic tank, the few I have seen do not have anything in the seams like your posting. The seams are always "seamless" with nothing in or around them. No bubbles, crazing, air gaps, etc.

One of those seams looks like they used glue to adhere the panels together? It should be chemically welded (melted) together with solvent.

Your guess is as good as mine lol... but I agree that it doesn't look like it should be there. Then again, I know acrylic tanks naturally bow a little bit, which could entail some bubbles/crazing.

Corals.com

Ditto

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that is not normal you should not be seeing any bubbles. Did the company who made you the tank say anything? Not sure I would trust it.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thought posting in tank emergency would at least get me more than 1 reply lol. Kind of disappointing. Anyways, going to email the manufacturer with the same photos I posted. I am not in the mood to get into an argument with these guys to have to try and explain myself.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Of course not. You sure those bubbles aren’t just under the protective film? Hard to tell from the pictures.

The fine/smaller bubbles are inside the actual black acrylic .. but the small crazing is right at the seam. I also have no idea what the glued looking section is. I was under the impression I shouldn’t see this.

ca1ore

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the lack of replies is because it’s really hard to tell from the pictures. I’m not sure I see any black acrylic? Many of those bubbles do look like they’re just under the film. When acrylic tank makers give you a black back panel (maybe that’s what you mean), it is just a thin piece - usually 1/8” or even 1/16” - that is welded on after the main sides of the tank is built. Not unusual for there to be bubbles under that; after all it’s the back.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe the lack of replies is because it’s really hard to tell from the pictures. I’m not sure I see any black acrylic? Many of those bubbles do look like they’re just under the film. When acrylic tank makers give you a black back panel (maybe that’s what you mean), it is just a thin piece - usually 1/8” or even 1/16” - that is welded on after the main sides of the tank is built. Not unusual for there to be bubbles under that; after all it’s the back.

Well if pictures are bad, people could ask?

I’ll take more pictures. I emptied the tank.

Corals.com

Mastiffsrule

Where ever you go, there you are, so be nice 2 you
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don’t not think with the number of bubbles I could see means you are heading for a failure, but you bought a new tank. Sometimes bubbles do appear in the process.

You mentioned you do not want to get in a fight with them, but have you given them an opportunity to addres your concerns. I would wait to see what they say.

OP
OP
Brian Goldstein

Brian Goldstein

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While I don’t not think with the number of bubbles I could see means you are heading for a failure, but you bought a new tank. Sometimes bubbles do appear in the process.

You mentioned you do not want to get in a fight with them, but have you given them an opportunity to addres your concerns. I would wait to see what they say.

I have not emailed them yet. I am in the process of writing the email now. From the advice I've gotten from a few different forums, it seems like the bubbles really shouldn't be there. The small bubbles lined around the entire perimeter of the tank doesn't seem normal either.

The reason I said I don't feel like getting in an argument is because I have a feeling they will just say "its normal to have some crazing or bubbles" ...and I'm not experienced enough in acrylic to where I could really argue a strong point unless I have some guys chime in that really know what they're talking about... but you're right, I should hear what they have to say first.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back