Bad Reputations: Have you experienced aggressive clownfish?

Have you ever experienced aggressive Clownfish? (Tell us you're experience in the comments!)

• Yes, my Clownfish have attacked me/other members of the tank.

Votes: 123 66.8%
  • No, my Clownfish have been peaceful.

Votes: 54 29.3%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
My 26 year old gold stripe maroon clown pair will attack my hand if I put it anywhere in the tank.
The female has drawn blood on several occasions.
For the first 4-5 years they were peaceful, but suddenly one day I was the enemy.

OrchidMiss

Official Reef Mermaid
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
4   0   0
Luxo has a streak of kills (at least 4 confirmed), including her first mate. The current one she almost killed but I was able to intervene and they’ve had no marital problems since. Her and her mate (Sharkbait) are now cellmates in their own tank.
IMG_1500.jpeg

I triggered the aggression by buying her (though I’m sure it all started the day she was born).
1000041261.jpg

Felicia also has a kill list, including but not limited to: firefish, yasha goby, yellow watchman goby.
She now tolerates the pair of pistol shrimp who like to rearrange her sand constantly.
They bicker like grumpy neighbors.

She has 0 issue biting any hand that enters her lair.

I also have 3 separate pairs of clowns thar have all become aggressive over the years.

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had a picasso female jump out of my tank and bite me in the forehead. I had teeth marks for a few days after! She also darted all the way across a 6 foot tank to jump out and bite me. Picture of the offender:
I have a good story about my female clownfish. She grew up in a 5 gallon fish tank. She was the only fish in the tank, only had some shrimp, hermits crabs, and snails for company and occasionally my hand.

One day, when I was cleaning the tank or fixing a frag she came flying out of the rock work and latched on to my hand. It startled me enough that I pulled my hand out of the tank quickly. The clown came out with my hand and plopped on the ground. I picked her up and tossed her back in the tank.

That was almost 4 years ago now. She's still alive and hasn't been mean to another fish (or hand) since!
DISCLAIMER: Don't try this with your clownfish. Your results may vary.
I laughed out loud! It shouldn't be funny, but it is so funny! :face-with-tears-of-joy:

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah I had a picasso female jump out of my tank and bite me in the forehead. I had teeth marks for a few days after! She also darted all the way across a 6 foot tank to jump out and bite me. Picture of the offender:
I would get rid of them after that, haha.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back