Bad Reputations: Have you experienced aggressive clownfish?

Have you ever experienced aggressive Clownfish? (Tell us you're experience in the comments!)

• Yes, my Clownfish have attacked me/other members of the tank.

Votes: 123 66.8%
  • No, my Clownfish have been peaceful.

Votes: 54 29.3%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

flashsmith

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only fish I've ever owned that attacked me!
toilet GIF

theMeat

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They’re not aggressive towards other than other clowns, but highly territorial

Last edited:

CyberNinjaZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before the female decided to journey outside the tank, she would (obviously) pick on the male. However, she did stay away from my goby and pistol. I'm assuming because the "shooting" scared them, as they would get startled when the pistol did so.
As for the male, he's never bothered a soul. He stays in his little corner of the tank and never leaves it.

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The only fish I’ve ever owned that bites the hand that feeds him is Hewbie and let me tell you it hurts like a mf! But he’s adorable and looks at me all innocent after so I forgive him. Puffers are like puppies and toddlers in the sense that they use their mouths to explore things because they don’t have hands.

Sdbuehler1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two black ice clownfish that were the first two inhabitants of my tank. In the first year they were pretty peaceful towards all the other tank mates but now that they are fully grown they are super territorial and its been hard for me to add any other fish to the tank. It definitely has me rethinking the idea of ever setting up another tank with clownfish. Ive read that adding an anemone could help with the aggression since they tend to stay put but I dont have the room or the desire to get an anemone. Don't let the cute faces fool you, they will viciously defend their cave.

IMG_1369.jpg

kdx7214

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Holy crap yes. Got a baby black percula who was just as sweet as can be as a juvenile and male. When it switched to female though she would take hunks out of my hand when I tried to clean the tank. I still have scars from her 25 years later.

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you experienced aggressive Clownfish? Did something trigger the aggression, and how did you deal with it?
I have worked in a few different LFS situations where someone had traded in their clownfish or clownfish pair because they were to aggressive. These fishes would attack any hand that went into their tank, sometimes even drawing blood from the hands and arms they had bitten.
I got a fish net and chased them around to tire them out, and then put my hand in to clean the tank, or remove a coral that was for sale. If they attacked I would stick the net back in and chase them some more. IF that failed, I would flick at them with my fingers to train them that the tank belongs to the hand. IF they failed to learn then I sent them to swirl school.
Bobby Moynihan Snl GIF by Saturday Night Live
clown fish GIF

shent69

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
In my previous tank, my girlfriend really wanted to get a pair of Ocellaris clownfish. Despite my reservations, I gave in, but they turned out to be the most aggressive ****** fishes I've ever had. Loved chasing everything and attacking your hands. I no longer have that tank, and I've decided that I will never again keep clownfish in any of my tanks. The now wife agrees :)

Rappa

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My female will even attack corals that I put too close to her little 1sq ft area! She is awesome with other fish, just doesn't like my hand or anything that my hand places near her home! She hosts in my Banana Holy Grail but it doesn't seem to bother the torch at all.

saltyfins

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine, I have 6 in 3 different tanks...have all attacked, or drawn blood on me! they're vicious, and I keep saying no more, but there's just something about them. I have one particular female, in my 32 biocube, that if I lift the lid to do maintenance, she will literally jump out of the water towards my face! crazy crackerjack! the female in my 300 gallon, will chase me across the tank. she has drawn blood and she's about 3 or 3.5 inches

Silly clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My ocellaris that I had for over 25 years was such a laidback, non-aggressive fish. She was tank raised, but traditional ocellaris, not designer. After she lost her best friend flame hawk who jumped after 19 years together, I got her a juvenile black and white ocellaris as a buddy. Even when they eventually started spawning they were pretty mellow.

The spotcintus in my other tank (was a pair, now only one - I think the other jumped), can be a bit of a jerk. She splashes me in the face if she doesn’t like me moving things in her tank. It is only a 30g, so she has a lot less space. Would move her to the 75g and get her a new mate if I thought they would be ok with other tank mates.

OU812Reefing

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be deceived by the name. Clownfish aren't always fun, but they sure are iconic! As probably one of the most recognized fish in the hobby (thanks, Nemo), they are often the first choice of fish for a new tank, big or small. But these highly territorial little guys might not always act as cute as they look.

Have you experienced aggressive Clownfish? Did something trigger the aggression, and how did you deal with it?

Let's discuss it!

DSC_0737.jpg

Photo: Wesley42079
My former pair of clowns killed 7 tank mates

Gonzomark

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He was peaceful, but then one day he decided to attack my hand. He doesn't attack any other tank inhabitants. Its just my hand.
Ditto! My clown attacks my hand anytime reach into the tank to move rock or adjust anything. But he's a baby compared to my tang and other fish, even newbies.

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had an Ocellaris and a DaVinci for about 2 years now. So far, knock on wood, no aggression toward me or other inhabitants. Put a BTA in last year - they won’t go near it. Clowns on back left of tank, BTA on back right of tank.

The DaVinci is hilarious. He’s the male, smallest fish in the tank - seems every time I feed frozen and there’s a decent sized chunk of meat, he somehow grabs it ahead of the other fish and high tails it to the back of the tank with this huge chunk hanging out of his mouth to munch alone.

The lights just went off a few min ago and the female is up near the top of the water line “clicking” away. She does this virtually every night. Anyone else’s clowns do this?

smitten with ocean life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
did you guys jinx me?? i just found my damsel swimming around with its whole back end missing! someone totally bit his tail clean off! and these fish have been in the same tank for years!:astonished-face:i dont know who else wouldve done it... unless a tang....:thinking-face:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back