Bad Reputations: Have you experienced aggressive clownfish?

Have you ever experienced aggressive Clownfish? (Tell us you're experience in the comments!)

• Yes, my Clownfish have attacked me/other members of the tank.

Votes: 123 66.8%
  • No, my Clownfish have been peaceful.

Votes: 54 29.3%
  • Other (please explain!)

Votes: 7 3.8%

• Total voters

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't be deceived by the name. Clownfish aren't always fun, but they sure are iconic! As probably one of the most recognized fish in the hobby (thanks, Nemo), they are often the first choice of fish for a new tank, big or small. But these highly territorial little guys might not always act as cute as they look.

Have you experienced aggressive Clownfish? Did something trigger the aggression, and how did you deal with it?

Let's discuss it!

DSC_0737.jpg

Photo: Wesley42079

EricR

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got my solo clownfish as a juvenile 3 years ago.
Started biting my hand (as expected) around the 8 month mark -- I assume this coincides with her transition to female but could be wrong.
Was peaceful with other fish until just a few months ago.
Now aggressively harasses my tailspot blenny to no end.
Doesn't bother Pajama or Bangaii cardinals.
No idea why this just started happening.

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luxo has a streak of kills (at least 4 confirmed), including her first mate. The current one she almost killed but I was able to intervene and they’ve had no marital problems since. Her and her mate (Sharkbait) are now cellmates in their own tank.
IMG_1500.jpeg

I triggered the aggression by buying her (though I’m sure it all started the day she was born).

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a Black Photon who was out for murder but left everyone else except me alone.

I also work around a Tomato Clown who if you don’t go in with a cleaning scrubber he will bite you.

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have never once seen our clowns be aggressive with any of our other fish!
It's actually been the opposite for us! Our watchman goby chases our clowns around the tank like it's a sport. :face-with-tears-of-joy:

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Luxo has a streak of kills (at least 4 confirmed), including her first mate. The current one she almost killed but I was able to intervene and they’ve had no marital problems since. Her and her mate (Sharkbait) are now cellmates in their own tank.
IMG_1500.jpeg

I triggered the aggression by buying her (though I’m sure it all started the day she was born).
She's got murder in her eyes:face-with-tears-of-joy:

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have four different kinds of clownfish. They are all in separate tanks. Only the one Ocellaris clown attacks my hands when doing maintenance. And ironically, his name is Nemo.

OP
OP
AlyciaMarie

AlyciaMarie

Where's my anemone?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even though I fully expect it, I still jump out of my shoes every time she attacks my hand. I used to flick her, but she would only come back harder! I don't know why it still startles me so much :grinning-face-with-sweat:
Flick her? :face-with-tears-of-joy: That's hilarious!

mtfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No clown fish now, but did have a tomato clown "gifted" to me when I first started a 75 gallon tank years ago. Only damsel I will have in my tank now is Starck's damsel (whenever I can find a replacement that doesn't cost an arm or leg). In my opinion, all clownfish are evil! (and most other damsels as well)

danimal1211

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine nips at my hand any time I put it in the tank so I try to do so as little as possible. I’ve seen my clown and tail spot squabble over food a few times but other than that, no aggression except towards me.

smitten with ocean life

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
this cracks me up! i never knew about clown aggression until i joined r2r! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes: they are definitely the most peaceful fish in my tank! is it the designer ones that are often mean? i just have a pair of ocellaris and they are often caring for a batch of eggs

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have never once seen our clowns be aggressive with any of our other fish!
Give it time and clowns often are on their Best behavior in your presence and become devious the moment you turn your back

JayM

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I introduced 3 clowns at the same time and all was well for a couple of days. Then the Domino went rouge and turned into a major jerk towards the other 2 clowns (didn't bother anything else). I tried every trick in the book to get it to settle down. Needless to say, he ended up as a trade-in at my LFS. The other two are model citizens.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back