Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was looking into getting a long spine sea urchin. I inquired and the guy folowed up after our initial talk and I bought one today. But its basketball size. And my tank is a 120 4x2 base. So I panicked and took him to the fish store to trade him. The offered to take him for free which I could not do. So I brough him home. In the tank is a 5" Grouper and two 12" Eels. I think it could work and hope it will but I am not sure. I meaning I am worried about the fish and eels getting stung.

Nutramar Foods

naterealbig

pea brain
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would have given him to the store. These grow really quickly. In addition to stinging its tankmates, it will sting you. It's not incredibly painful, but at that size it will be hard to avoid when doing maintenance.

Ask me how i know.......

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, I had one for several months and even though it was a great algae eater I had to always be wary of where it was in my tank when cleaning, etc. I brushed against it one time and darn near fell backwards because of its sting, and then had to dig out from my knuckle what was left of its spine. And they do grow quickly.

OP
OP
H

hrdneglcry

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine is full grown. If I don't have any algae on the rocks except for coraline what should I do? I have alot on the back glass and hair algae in the overflow box.
D77D6FFB-4520-47D0-B473-DA70490ED5B9.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was looking into getting a long spine sea urchin. I inquired and the guy folowed up after our initial talk and I bought one today. But its basketball size. And my tank is a 120 4x2 base. So I panicked and took him to the fish store to trade him. The offered to take him for free which I could not do. So I brough him home. In the tank is a 5" Grouper and two 12" Eels. I think it could work and hope it will but I am not sure. I meaning I am worried about the fish and eels getting stung.
It should be ok- Expect it to drag frags and small rocks around. Also expect occupants will get poked here and there- just a maybe.
They are sensitive to elevated nitrate and phos levels, so watch water quality. . . And. . . They love algae and will eat algae present on corals if you desire coral.

Nutramar Foods

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Frag Farm
Back