Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My new tank will have a DD jump guard with a couple of feeding portals added, none of this has been made yet, we are going to have a couple of trips this year ( no more than a week) and as such I’ll need to get an auto feeder , the tank is fish only, what’s the recommended reliable type to get, ideally one that suits the feeding portals, I assume they are all hung on the side glass which will obviously interfere with the jump guard

thankd

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
another vote for eheim feeder, very reliable.
Yes, it hangs on the side
Ok thanks, I guessed they might all be, I’m either going to have to make some sort of bracket arrangement up for when we need to use it or make another jump guard up for that side of the tank with a cutout to suit the feeder

o2manyfish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Look at the Super feeder --- Super-feeder.com - I have been using multiples of these for about 10 years.

You can mix a variety of foods in the bin - Flakes, poweder, various sized pellets and adjust how much feeds with each feeding. And then you can use any kind of timer you want so you can feed as many times a day as you want.

I have over a dozen friends using these and they don't fail.

My Dad dropped his into his Koi pond and that is the only time in 10+ years I have heard that one has failed.

Dave B

Top Shelf Aquatics

resortez

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I second the Eheim autofeeder, the ease of use, programming & option to feed 4 times a day. Fully open, 2 rotations, feeding 3 times a day with tetra flakes last me close to 3 weeks before having to refill. Play with the mounting of the feeder because it needs to be place off center from the feeding hole. You will see what I mean.

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mostly use one of the apex auto feeders, but for the cost the eheim is really hard to beat. I used it for a while before getting into apex equipment, and honestly the eheim worked really well.

The eheim can't be beat. Is your Apex feeder screaming like a banshee yet. Mine was terrible even in a canopy.

I use some variation of these on all my tanks. I'm not po'ed when they die and only 25 bucks. Also wifi...

Screenshot_20230103-103916.png

Gtinnel

10K Club member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is your Apex feeder screaming like a banshee yet. Mine was terrible even in a canopy.
Lol, of course it is. As far as I know they all do it. You’d think for the price they could use a motor/mechanism that doesn’t sound broken.

It mostly just runs when I’m at work anyway so the noise isn’t a big deal to me, although on the days that I take off work and am home when it runs it startles me at first.

epidemos82

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has mentioned it yet, so I will put in a vote for the Avast Marine Plank feeder. It's on the pricier side but super quiet and addresses the problem of the food getting dropped onto the surface of the water and then running straight down the overflow. It comes with a small nano pump that mixes the food when it is added to the tank. It is super quiet, easy to dial in the amount of food, and allows you to feed small amounts multiple times a day. You just need a timer that is capable of settings for seconds. Check it out: https://www.avastmarine.com/products/autofeeder

CLICK TO VIEW

w8lifts

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No one has mentioned it yet, so I will put in a vote for the Avast Marine Plank feeder. It's on the pricier side but super quiet and addresses the problem of the food getting dropped onto the surface of the water and then running straight down the overflow. It comes with a small nano pump that mixes the food when it is added to the tank. It is super quiet, easy to dial in the amount of food, and allows you to feed small amounts multiple times a day. You just need a timer that is capable of settings for seconds. Check it out: https://www.avastmarine.com/products/autofeeder
This thing is freaking amazing, bought it at Xmas sale. Highly recommend

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The eheim can't be beat. Is your Apex feeder screaming like a banshee yet. Mine was terrible even in a canopy.

I use some variation of these on all my tanks. I'm not po'ed when they die and only 25 bucks. Also wifi...

View attachment 2958844
There seem to be a few replica versions of the eheim wifi one for a lot less money, they clearly look to be the exact same thing so likely made in the same Chinese factory without the brand name on it

AquaCave Logo Banner

resortez

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There seem to be a few replica versions of the eheim wifi one for a lot less money, they clearly look to be the exact same thing so likely made in the same Chinese factory without the brand name on it
A friend of mine went through 3 of these. None lasted more than 8 months, motors would fail & had to be reprogrammed every time Wi-Fi dropped. I would suggest to stay aware from those.

OP
OP
Jasongtr

Jasongtr

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A friend of mine went through 3 of these. None lasted more than 8 months, motors would fail & had to be reprogrammed every time Wi-Fi dropped. I would suggest to stay aware from those.
All or just the non eheim ones?

Top Shelf Aquatics

907_Reefer

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This thing is freaking amazing, bought it at Xmas sale. Highly recommend

I bought one of these Avast Marine Plank Feeders as well based on overwhelming reviews here. Just got it and looks amazing but have not yet installed. What are you guys using for timers?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

FnR
Back