How do you use your Plank auto feeder?

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Hey R2R fam! I'm picking up a Plank Auto Feeder from Avast Marine for my new tank setup. I'm REALLY excited about it. I've had auto feeders before, but the Plank seems like it's just totally next level in the intentionality and innovation that has gone into its design! Can't wait to add this to my tank!

For those of you using a Plank feeder already, how do you have your set up? What food(s) are you feeding through it? How often?

Looking for any pro tips you guys have found!

1721755499460.png

1721755520878.png

tbrown

Nominated Cronie Intern - Might be failing?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I use mine once a day to feed a mix of flake, pellet, and Reef Jerky.

I also use 3 additional automatic feeders. One feeds pellets, one feeds flakes, and the third feeds a mix of pellets and flakes. I have several wrasses and fat happy fish so I feed lots of times a day, but small portions.

I keep the Sicce running 24/7 on the Plank and run the Plank for 1 minute in the morning about 3 hours after lights on.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacon bits…. Hinged arm on bedside table. Wired hospital style call button. No regrets, thinking of a second unit for the car, just need a voltage adapter for it and hope to wire it to the spare button on the steering wheel.

LoneStarReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use mine to feed reef jerky and small pellets 4x a day. I have Anthias that need frequent feedings so it helps keep them fed on a regular basis. The pellets are mostly for my Biota Mandarins.

Love that it hydrates the plankton (reef jerky sold by Avast) and pellets so they don’t just float and go in to my sump. I also like that it can feed small amounts all throughout the day. I travel a lot so it is especially helpful when I’m away.

Couldn’t be happier with my Plank Auto Feeder.

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacon bits…. Hinged arm on bedside table. Wired hospital style call button. No regrets, thinking of a second unit for the car, just need a voltage adapter for it and hope to wire it to the spare button on the steering wheel.
One for you, one for the tank!

I'd have Nerds in mine, though.

JoJosReef

10kW Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very happy with my Plank. I feed 4x a day, 1 minute run each time, along with my liquid autofeeder pumping Reef Nutrition Phtyo/Oyster/PacPod/ArctiPod Feasts. I mix Reef Jerkey and TDO pellets in the Plank. The Reef Jerkey stimulates a massive feeding response in the corals.

jfm3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I feed Probiotix Regular Sinking Pellets and some ReefRoids to feed both fish and corals 3x/day for 2 sec/feed (You’ll need an auto timer that can be controlled down to the second.) Actually needed the ReefRoids to keep the pellets from pouring into the tank when the auger stopped on that sweet spot that allowed the small pellets to just pour out. I keep the circulating motor running 24x7. Finally, I added a dome like this one to stop algae growth inside the down tube.

BryanS

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve been thinking about setting one up to dispense into my sumps return chamber and let the return pump disburse the food through the returns. I’m building out an IM 200EXT right now with euro bracing and a lid and I really don’t want to modify the lid to accomodate for a feeder. Who is has tried doing this and what was the outcome? My sump is a 60 breeder and I figure the plank should mount easily to the plastic rim

Reefering1

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This^^^, I need this!!

jonelder68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks not operational yet but here’s how I’m setting mine up. Ordered a 11” feeding tube (not in pictures) to drop right into the 3” pvc adapter. Should act like a funnel so hopefully all food goes straight into return pump to be broadcast out in the DT. Attached the plank to a pvc 1x2 board so for maintenance etc it just lifts right up and out. Sounded like a good idea but we shall find out soon

Attachments

• IMG_6974.jpeg
    IMG_6974.jpeg
    156.8 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_6973.jpeg
    IMG_6973.jpeg
    133.1 KB · Views: 62

feelingfishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Placed mine in the sump. I had to buy the 12 inch tube to get it deep enough to saturate the food. Speaking of the food ( Reef Jerky ) I slightly modified it by adding 50%+ more freeze dried Mysis. They are currently making a modification that adds a desiccant attached to the lid which I desperately need because of the 100% humidity in the sump.

Here is a pic of the sump
IMG_0458.jpeg

jonelder68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tanks not operational yet but here’s how I’m setting mine up. Ordered a 11” feeding tube (not in pictures) to drop right into the 3” pvc adapter. Should act like a funnel so hopefully all food goes straight into return pump to be broadcast out in the DT. Attached the plank to a pvc 1x2 board so for maintenance etc it just lifts right up and out. Sounded like a good idea but we shall find out soon
Updated pictures with the correct length tube.

Attachments

• IMG_7020.jpeg
    IMG_7020.jpeg
    129.5 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_7021.jpeg
    IMG_7021.jpeg
    155 KB · Views: 56

reeftivo

skim junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just got mine and set up next to one of my Mp40's. It pulls the food in perfect for a nice broadcast feeding. I initially set up a twice a day, one minute run feeding schedule (on apex) but defaulted to manual feeding since i frequently view my tank from my Lorex while at work and just feed remotely. I run a spirulina flake, shredded nori sheets, reef jerky, PE mysis pellets mix and all is good.

dang nice feeder and worth every penny in my opinion ;)

VintageReefer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Mines on a kasa wifi plug and runs three times daily, one minute each time. I had a custom polycarb lid made with a cutout for the plank, and it drops right in front of a mp40. I’m using it with reef jerky

79A6C5CD-8A31-4C9E-8B0B-C97AA14D5857.jpeg

cromag27

CUSTOM ACRYLICS - octoaquatics.com - view my sig
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i build a ton of lids that have these feeders. seem to be very popular.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back