At what point, if any, do you remove a bristle worm?

BRS

mermaid_life

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Weekly. I don't feel like I overfeed at all, but they are still there for some reason. I tried traps, but found that they were not attractive to look at so now weekly I grab a glass of whiskey and a pair of long tweezers and flip over rocks. It's quite satisfying..... like popping a pimple or peeling a sun burn. =)

DHill6

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Constantly. I have a little trap in my smaller setup that I remove daily full of them. Not that they are bad, just unsightly.
View attachment 2695322
One of the reasons I am so strict on qt for the new systen now.
Wow! I would’ve tossed the rock or peroxided it to death. Too many!

Top Shelf Aquatics

Nano sapiens

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not believe that the coral are bothered by them and it may be possible that they are more beneficial than detrimental

They sure can be if the population is high enough and/or they are living right next to a coral that is being fed often. Other than that possibility, they are good little fellas.

and yes the spaghetti worms do affect the population of bristle worms but I think they keep each other in check and the population of each stabilizes according to how the system supports them not including other things that survive in your system

IME, due to the vastly reduced bristle worm population I have now due to the multitudes of spaghetti worms (after being introduced on a frag plug), they are the more successful competitors in my system. However, as they say, 'Your results may vary' :)

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My current issue is that there are some truly huge ones (at LEAST 12" in a 20g tank) and they are trying to share the cave openings with my YWG and Candy Cane Pistol. This morning I noticed bristles stuck in the YWG's mouth, still not sure if it was from him trying to intimidate the worm, or an unfortunate brush up. I'm confident they are just bristle worms, not fire, but man are some huge. I by no means want to remove them all, just a couple of the really really big ones. The ones that will reach over several coral and snake through the rocks to get to a piece of food. Kind of nuts, I'll try to get a few pics tomorrow when I feed.

Pic, on the right side of his mouth (our left). They've since been dislodged and there is a tiny white dot where they were, so may have pierced him? But also could've been pinched between his "lips" and mouth some? It was odd to say the least.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar
OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Here is the big boy.....he came out all the way tonight unfortunately for him, got him with the tongs and disposed of him. There are plenty of others, just really didn't need one THAT big in a 20g tank. I have more than enough other CUC for the big stuff. Little ones can stay and get in the crevice's, ones that large I really don't want in my nano haha

Top Shelf Aquatics

Double monti 61

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a pic of a hair worm on the glass.

Attachments

• B915C4E8-02D3-4B5E-B6EF-0E6763791DB0.jpeg
    B915C4E8-02D3-4B5E-B6EF-0E6763791DB0.jpeg
    132.3 KB · Views: 26
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Nemo&Friends

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It took me too long to figure out LRWFO acronym
It was the same for me. I often use google to try to find out what all the acronyms used in the aquarium trade means. Not only for the equipment but for the fish too. We should have a thread with just for acronym.

Nutramar Foods

EricR

Valuable Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It was the same for me. I often use google to try to find out what all the acronyms used in the aquarium trade means. Not only for the equipment but for the fish too. We should have a thread with just for acronym.
I had to bookmark this one:

Reef Acronyms

MaD_ReefeR

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just a pic of a hair worm on the glass.
I assumed it was fish only with live rock (FOWLR which is how I'm used to seeing it).

I'm not a fan of bristle worms, stars, etc. I know they can be beneficial but in just not a fan of their appearance

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Small ones stay. Once they reach 6", I pull them when I can get them. I figure, they've gotten grown due to the nutrients in my tank. Removing the bigger ones is just another form of nutrient export.
Not a bad take. Like they "house" all the detritus they remove until you can remove them yourself.

OP
OP
R

Reffetsevla

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assumed it was fish only with live rock (FOWLR which is how I'm used to seeing it).

I'm not a fan of bristle worms, stars, etc. I know they can be beneficial but in just not a fan of their appearance
I'm the same but I tolerate them as best I can. Unless they get absolutely huge or start causing issues, usually it's both at the same time in my cases

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back