Is seeing bristles worms during the day a bad thing?

BRS

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You’re not alone brother I’m the same way, I know they play a part but I want nothing to do with them.
Copy that! Yeah the GSP I got locally wat infested. Like I said I got a mat that grew off the mother colony and was stuck to a bunch of his sand bed. I thought I got it all with the peroxide bath and physically trying to get under some of the pieces of sand but they did elude me.

I had enough water stowed away that I placed all the life Rock in and dumped a 500ml bottle of peroxide in after my wife shot me a photo of a BIG one crawling around. The positive thing was it wiped all the ugly phase algae from the rock and killed everything else. But it was worth it.

I don't bother even checking anymore at night looking for them as I checked for quite a few times and all I see is an abundance of pods :)

Nutramar Foods

fullinfusion

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they only coming out during feeding?
Also, even though it can be hit-or-miss, I’ve heard dottybacks, banded coral shrimp, and arrow head crabs can also help with bristle worm control.
Don't forget peppermint shrimp as well.

OP
OP
mistergray

mistergray

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are they only coming out during feeding?
Also, even though it can be hit-or-miss, I’ve heard dottybacks, banded coral shrimp, and arrow head crabs can also help with bristle worm control.
They’re randomly out during the day. Not just feedings. They seemed to have calmed down a bit since I posted this but it’s still unusual to see them during the day.

Nutramar Foods

Laith

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not quite sure what the issue is... are you seeing detrimental effects from having bristle worms in the tank?

I've had bristle worms in both of the reef tanks I've owned. Never worried about them... they are part of the environment, as are cocepods, amphipods, bacteria, fish, coral and all the rest of the life that lives on a reef.

And both tanks never had issues linked to bristle worms as far as I could tell: tanks thrived. I admit that if one day I say everything in the tank covered in bristle worms then I might want to investigate further...

But one thing for sure: they are UGLY and they sting if you touch them! :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Aquariums Wholesale Live coral auctions every week
Back