Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Im surprised to see not many people adding a float valve at the end of the tubing run. Float switches and optical switches have higher failure rate than quality float valve. Add that as extra layer, especially if you have a sump.

David_CO

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have to clean the optical eye on my Tunze 3155 atleast once a week due to heavy Kalk dosing. I noticed the eye is getting a bit scratched up from all the cleaning which I’m sure isn’t great. I wish I had a better place to put my Kalk stirrer but I really don’t. Considering just putting a continuous duty peristaltic pump as Ato and monitoring overfill with a float switch and optical eye for redundancy. I have a really good camera setup on this tank so would be easy enough to tweak remotely.

the new Red Sea ATO is interesting too since it uses titanium sensors. They have been super reliable on my roller mat which gets triggered a ton of times a day.

Last edited:
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
I just received a rebuild kit a couple of weeks ago. It did take a couple of months because they were waiting on part. The price was outrageous. Almost $50 with shipping for some tubing, three rollers, and a couple of fittings.

Waiting on parts is one thing but everything removed under litermeter section from their site is another. The worst thing is nobody is saying anything so one cannot plan too much ahead.

Again, great product but SpectraPure should provide an update even if it means waiting few more months for parts and/or replacement pumps.

maroun.c

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
any float valve, float switch can go wrong with Calcium buildup, snails getting stuck....
I add a float switch and also a timer on my apex so my ATO can only be active for around 45 seconds every 6 hours. Typically my ATO needs around 1-2 min (based on seasons) per day to refill evaporated water, so if it is to get stuck on itll take weeks till it floods the sumps due to the time limit.
O makesure to have a look at water level everyday when I'm in fishroom and have a camera to check water level when I'm away. ideally I should add an addtional low adn high water level alarm to make it more secure.

AquaCave Logo Banner

hoffmeyerz

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My Neptune ATK system has been flawless.
I have Neptune's ATK system also. It's fed from my own system to fill the rodi reservoir which is controlled by additional optical sensors, solenoid valve, and float valve. Between the optical sensors and float valve in the ATK and ones I added in the reservoir there are multiple layers of redundancy. Couple that with coding options in Apex and I feel pretty safe.
I definitely agree with those that mentioned a float valve on the end of the line, that's a good last line of defense!

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
any float valve, float switch can go wrong with Calcium buildup, snails getting stuck....
I add a float switch and also a timer on my apex so my ATO can only be active for around 45 seconds every 6 hours. Typically my ATO needs around 1-2 min (based on seasons) per day to refill evaporated water, so if it is to get stuck on itll take weeks till it floods the sumps due to the time limit.
O makesure to have a look at water level everyday when I'm in fishroom and have a camera to check water level when I'm away. ideally I should add an addtional low adn high water level alarm to make it more secure.

Multi Layered approach is best indeed.

I instituted low-high-overflow float switches, OSC command like you did with motorized ball valve (one can use solenoid) and a float valve. If ALL of it fails, there is only about 6 gallons of water available per day for the purpose of ATO so I'm not worried.

Big E

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
This doesn't have to be expensive or hard with the advancement of smart plugs and apps on your phone to time top offs based on evaporation. Any cheap pump is fine.

Topping off 4-6 times over 24 hours is plenty to keep things stable.

I did this for a decade with a Litermeter and would only have to change the setting twice a year for the season change.

Last edited:
AI Hydra

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
AVAST
Back