Review score
+7 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+7 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
@Ctownjlo So sorry this happened to you and thanks so much for posting to spread awareness. @trevorhiller This is a great idea, I'm about to leave for 2 weeks and just bought one for peace of mind. Thanks a ton for sharing.
No problem, I'm glad you found it worthy. I hope you never have to use it.

I did a little research tonight and found that I can cover my whole reef room I'm building with one fire sprinkler. My home doesn't have them built in, but my main water manifold is in the (soon-to-be) reef room and I have some PEX tubing lying around. For ~$30 shipped and 20 minutes of time, it's cheap worst case scenario coverage that'll help me sleep better at night. Especially since my bedroom is directly over the room...

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No problem, I'm glad you found it worthy. I hope you never have to use it.

I did a little research tonight and found that I can cover my whole reef room I'm building with one fire sprinkler. My home doesn't have them built in, but my main water manifold is in the (soon-to-be) reef room and I have some PEX tubing lying around. For ~$30 shipped and 20 minutes of time, it's cheap worst case scenario coverage that'll help me sleep better at night. Especially since my bedroom is directly over the room...
Is pex rated for the pressure needed for a sprinkler line?

Top Shelf Aquatics

hunterallen40

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't think sprinklers with top water work for electrical fires, right?

I remember hearing somewhere about someone having an RODI sprinkler in their sump. RODI is not conductive, and can extinguish an electrical fire.

I've actually been interested in getting a setup like that for my own systems, so if anyone has any resources let me know!

AS

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I remember hearing somewhere about someone having an RODI sprinkler in their sump. RODI is not conductive, and can extinguish an electrical fire.

I've actually been interested in getting a setup like that for my own systems, so if anyone has any resources let me know!
Chemical/foam fire suppression systems are needed for electrical fires, water will put out the fire, but the electricity will keep flowing. A GFCI breaker coupled with it could work though. You would really want an E rated fire system I believe though

Nutramar Foods

telegraham

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Tap water sprinklers in a dedicated electrical space vs what we're discussing are very different. Water sprinklers for our use are effective against electrical fires, as their intent is life safety and minimizing spread. As I see it, the problem with aquarium fires isn't an electrical source fire, but that of other combustibles near the fire source. Although we should do what we can to minimize the potential for an electrical fire, Terence's unfortunate event is a great example of a house saved from an electrical fire. Water is ok.

RODI is conductive, and 0 TDS water will still measure resistance around 250K Ω. 0 TDS isn't pure. You'd need good distillation to achieve conductivity levels that would be considered insulating.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
Sorry to hear, this is a nightmare to deal with but at least your family is ok. Hopefully your insurance steps up and you can quickly rebuild - and to your spec.

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+5 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
8   0   0
For everybody else with dedicated fish rooms in basements etc.

Look this up, mounts to the ceiling (or wall), self activates. Hope this saves at least one fish room.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefer1978

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Look this up, mounts to the ceiling (or wall), self activates. Hope this saves at least one fish room.

Will it kill the tank / other animals?

telegraham

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

These were mentioned on page #3. Good idea, but Elide is out of the 4" balls (from Tiawan). The Chinese equivalent from Amazon is available for $35US.
Although a good question, probably not the point of the fire-be-gone ball. I'd rather have an extinguished fire and dead tank inhabitants than one of my basement's whole home sprinkler heads offering up its home-saving goodness.

AquaCave Logo Banner

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might could put all electrical items in one cabinet with the suppression system, keeping it out of the general room and hopefully tank but still preventing fires

telegraham

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Might could put all electrical items in one cabinet with the suppression system, keeping it out of the general room and hopefully tank but still preventing fires
Just consider that something like the Fire Ball works because of an explosive charge. The resulting pressure from the discharge will need to go somewhere.

Top Shelf Aquatics

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wonder if the plastic shrapnel is enough to break a glass tank. My 2 main power strips are shoulder height and about 2’ from the tank (on gfci). Would be nice to use these things without blowing out a tank.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After seeing this I will most likely mount my stuff inside a metal enclosure.. they sell transformer cans for those of you who aren’t capable of making them like myself.. even a breaker panel would work great.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Frag Farm
Back