Aqua Ultraviolet 15 Watt UV Sterilizer GPH?

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reading through the instruction manual it states my current Axis 40 won't work with this UV unit since it's max GPH is 400.

Per instructions a UV rating in the 30,000 to 45,000 columns is idea for reef environment. UV's rated at a higher kill rates will destroy the planktonic food supply for the reef.

Classic 15 Watt:
30,000 columns = 700GPH
45,000 columns = 466GPH

I would need to upgrade my pump to the Axis 90?

Any input would be appreciated, thanks!

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Honestly, I would use the one you've got. If it runs at 350-400gph, it will sterilize more, but that likely isn't an issue. If you're worried about the plankton, you can always add some phytoplankton on occasion.

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Honestly, I would use the one you've got. If it runs at 350-400gph, it will sterilize more, but that likely isn't an issue. If you're worried about the plankton, you can always add some phytoplankton on occasion.

Do you think putting a carbon reactor in line with the UV is a smart choice?

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same UV unit and run it at the recommended 460gph for algae control. If that what you want to do yea, you need a bigger pump. I wouldn't run both carbon and uv together, seems unnessary.

ReefStable

Reef Stable
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I probably wouldn't run carbon and uv inline, just in case the carbon clogs.

If you want REALLY clear water, running both is fine. But that's the only reason I would do both generically.

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same UV unit and run it at the recommended 460gph for algae control. If that what you want to do yea, you need a bigger pump. I wouldn't run both carbon and uv together, seems unnessary.

If I want to target parasites only which GPH would you recommend? Looks like ill have to purchase another Axis 40 to run the UV alone.

FYI: 40gallon display, 20gallon sump.

mboley

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I want to target parasites only which GPH would you recommend? Looks like ill have to purchase another Axis 40 to run the UV alone.

FYI: 40gallon display, 20gallon sump.
The gph for parasite control is in the manual, which can be found on line. It's less gph, but for a reef it's not recommended.

ATXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just logging on to ask a similar question about the same uv unit I just bought and have connected to a sicce 1.5 (357gph). It's employed for the eradication of dinos. Does anyone know the ideal flow rate for this unit for dino killing? Sorry for hijacking the thread, but doesn't seem necessary to start a new one if we can consolidate here!

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was just logging on to ask a similar question about the same uv unit I just bought and have connected to a sicce 1.5 (357gph). It's employed for the eradication of dinos. Does anyone know the ideal flow rate for this unit for dino killing? Sorry for hijacking the thread, but doesn't seem necessary to start a new one if we can consolidate here!
Screenshot 2024-09-24 195513.jpg

OP
OP

2Plus2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume 30-45k is for algae, since everyone has told me 700GPH is alot.
It also states for me n you with a tank no reef or live rock should be running it at roughly 250GPH.
So by looking at all these numbers I assume we should be ball parking around 350-450GPH.

Can a pro chime in?

ATXreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This chart is helpful. Thanks for posting. Would definitely like to hear from someone else that has at least moderate experience combatting Dino’s. I’ve had mine on for 5 days and it hasn’t helped much. I’m going to siphon it all out this weekend and do a 48 hour black out and see where that gets me (while running the UV 24/7). I haven’t done a microscope evaluation of the Dinos, but when it definitely reduces in mass overnight and gets worse during the lighting cycle so it must be the waterborne type.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back