Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is not calibrating. That is setting the Trident to the other testers. In order to calibrate correctly, the calibration solution must be at the same level as the end of the sample tube when in normal operation. The tube must also be ran in the same configuration as normal. The back pressure on the tube makes a difference.
Good to know about the back pressure and where the fluid has to be. Thank you

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Only problems I've had was when I calibrated too soon after changing reagents. The first reading was over 10.0. so I calibrated right away. Then all subsequent readings were well below actual. You really should wait 24 hrs before calibrating. The alk reads consistently .5 below my Hannah. But it's consistent. ICP confirms the Ca and Mg readings. Was surprised ICP didn't give an alk reading.
They said to give it a few days at first for testing to calibrate it just so it can break in. Good to know the only problem is something little.

BRS

gbru316

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used to do the same thing with my Trident and Hanna, until I found out about that.

In my experience, Hanna isn’t as accurate as a titration test for alkalinity.

If anyone is “calibrating” their trident with tank water, use a test kit. Salifert was spot-on when I tested it using an alk reference standard.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Rovert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Need the link for that…

Jonas is a stand-up guy, super customer service. You couldn't ask for better.

mikedgrok

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy buy buy, especially if you want to leave your house :)

Even if not, time saved vs messing with tests is worth it (for me)

I have the apex, trident, smart bar and dos ... Love that I can manage the entire tank (well you know - manage my sanity!) from anywhere in the world (I like to travel AND I like my little tank)

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Buy buy buy, especially if you want to leave your house :)

Even if not, time saved vs messing with tests is worth it (for me)

I have the apex, trident, smart bar and dos ... Love that I can manage the entire tank (well you know - manage my sanity!) from anywhere in the world (I like to travel AND I like my little tank)
I like to travel as well and that is another advantage is it would be another stress off my shoulders for when I’m away. And yes as you say, keep me sane! Lol. What do you use for a waste container? That is another concern I have

Nutramar Foods

mikedgrok

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I like to travel as well and that is another advantage is it would be another stress off my shoulders for when I’m away. And yes as you say, keep me sane! Lol. What do you use for a waste container? That is another concern I have
I actually have a nano tank that sits on one end of a long kitchen counter ... waste line goes right into the sink ;) - which is one of the settings. otherwise you can use a container and tell it how large the container is, and it'll keep track of that (just like a DOS keeps track of how much stuff you got left in the reservoirs).

If I didn't have this option, I would just use a very small bucket or a large tupperware instead...

Trident doesn't actually put out too much waste - the reagent containers last about 2 months using 4 containers (alk you change twice as fast as cal/mag) and i think if you add all four together, it's about 1.5 beers (12 oz can) ... add in the tank water that gets used and it's probably another few beers (lol) over that same 2 months - doesn't really drain a ton from the tank

So, you can get away with pretty much anything... only reason i put it into the sink is i am forgetful and clumsy as heck - would probably spill the waste tupperware on the wood floor!

honestly, being able to control AND monitor the tank 24x7 remotely... i am very lucky to be able to afford this, and it is hugely worth it to me... as another one said on this thread, I wouldn't have a reef tank without a trident; guys at my LFS use them as well on all their main tanks (they probably get a nice discount thou!)

mikedgrok

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, it is pretty easy to open up and do maintenance... i had a clogged sample line a couple of weeks ago. think there was some build-up and it stopped pulling water thru... youtube ... cool apparatus on the inside, and really not hard to take care of stuff (again, i am clumsy!!!)

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Rovert

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What do you use for a waste container? That is another concern I have
Leftover 1qt.chinese soup container with an 'x' cut into the lid for the hose to pass through, though the Trident gives preconfigured choices for other options (like a drain) and each option can be reconfigured for size.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have a nano tank that sits on one end of a long kitchen counter ... waste line goes right into the sink ;) - which is one of the settings. otherwise you can use a container and tell it how large the container is, and it'll keep track of that (just like a DOS keeps track of how much stuff you got left in the reservoirs).

If I didn't have this option, I would just use a very small bucket or a large tupperware instead...

Trident doesn't actually put out too much waste - the reagent containers last about 2 months using 4 containers (alk you change twice as fast as cal/mag) and i think if you add all four together, it's about 1.5 beers (12 oz can) ... add in the tank water that gets used and it's probably another few beers (lol) over that same 2 months - doesn't really drain a ton from the tank

So, you can get away with pretty much anything... only reason i put it into the sink is i am forgetful and clumsy as heck - would probably spill the waste tupperware on the wood floor!

honestly, being able to control AND monitor the tank 24x7 remotely... i am very lucky to be able to afford this, and it is hugely worth it to me... as another one said on this thread, I wouldn't have a reef tank without a trident; guys at my LFS use them as well on all their main tanks (they probably get a nice discount thou!)
Wish we could get that discount too! I agree with being remote it must be a lot easier to travel now. Thanks!

OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
also, it is pretty easy to open up and do maintenance... i had a clogged sample line a couple of weeks ago. think there was some build-up and it stopped pulling water thru... youtube ... cool apparatus on the inside, and really not hard to take care of stuff (again, i am clumsy!!!)
Good to know as I’m sure it would be a pain to sent the trident into Neptune like they recommend from Canada. I would rather just diy it and learn some stuff along the way!

BRS
OP
OP
Lps_lover12

Lps_lover12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Leftover 1qt.chinese soup container with an 'x' cut into the lid for the hose to pass through, though the Trident gives preconfigured choices for other options (like a drain) and each option can be reconfigured for size.
Great idea, next time I get Chinese I’ll save the container. Lol

mikedgrok

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Good to know as I’m sure it would be a pain to sent the trident into Neptune like they recommend from Canada. I would rather just diy it and learn some stuff along the way!
and in that one year i only had to do this maintenance for this one time ... i do think it's probably a good idea to periodically flush the trident with some RODI water through its sample line, which you can do from the apex console (dont need to use up reagents for this)

Avast

Gatorpa

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a 1.5 liter container for waste. takes a long time to fill up

neonreef3d

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Is the trident worth the money? My tank is about 6 months old, stocked with lps and softies right now and looking into a trident. But before I buy it I want to see what everyone else’s opinion is on it first. Is it worth the $900? (In Canada) I’ve read some older threads from 2020 but can’t find any for 2022 so wondering what everyone’s long term success with it is. I also read that you need to follow their guidelines of 4 alk 2 ca and 2 mg of testing a day in order to keep the pumps primed and everything.
thanks in advance!
I believe its worth it depending on the size of the tank, and how active you are with maintenance, If you take vacations, then I would say yes..

Neptune

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
SR
Back