Any Rock Flower Anemone Experts here?? How often do you feed??

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is mainly for those keeping RFAs long term. How often do you feed them??

I am hearing so many mixed opinions on this. Some people saying feed a lot, others saying dont feed at all.. Does it really even matter?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Lost in the Sauce

BANGERANG!!!!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This question is mainly for those keeping RFAs long term. How often do you feed them??

I am hearing so many mixed opinions on this. Some people saying feed a lot, others saying dont feed at all.. Does it really even matter?
Don't know what your definition of long term is but over the last 2 years, I may have directly fed any of my dozen RFA a handful of times.

I do broadcast feed and they do catch food. I also have a robust pod population which they actively eat.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've kept RFA for years and never fed them. They'd catch meaty bits a few times a day to a couple times a week depending on their location in the tank. Never seemed unhappy

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Cthulukelele

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like I am over-feeding mine! I thought they had to be spot fed regularly..
I've heard people trying to get them to broadcast spawn will do that. I think they're relatively hard to overfeed just not really in need of spot feedings

Narideth

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been spot feeding mine every 1-2 weeks, but I don't broadcast feed the tank so I doubt they're getting much food otherwise. I'm specifically supporting them under the idea that I need to supplement the less than stellar quality of the lights I'm eventually going to replace. My understanding is they need one or the other, and are happy to have both.

SamMule

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don't feed mine directly, but they get some when I feed the fish.
Coincidentally, the ones that are in the best spots for catching food seem to stay healthier and grow much faster than the ones that don't.
I'm no expert though.
@Ron Reefman has some good info on here concerning RFA care.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone, really appreciate you chiming in. I got back into the hobby with a Fluval Evo dedicated to little anemones and shrimp (you can see on the build thread to the left). I at one point had 6 RFAs doing really well for over a year, than had some nutrient problems which caused half to die in a month. I'm back on the right track, but noticed my favorite one has been expelling zooxanthelle a lot lately, and not opening up as much as normal.

I just was not sure if I should be feeding more, or cutting back. Sounds like I should cut back for a bit as my lights are strong, and tank is not bottoming out on nutrients.

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Target feed.with Reef Nutrition slurry plus a TDO pellet Mon through Fri! Not necessary, but I like feeding them and I've only had one die from overfeeding when Eheim autofeeder dumped like a handful of TDO pellets into the tank over a weekend and they all circulated and landed on one RFA in the middle (poor guy had red sludge caked below it's skirt and shriveled up). Last time using the Eheim.

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have good lights, you probably don't need to feed at all, but once a month couldn't hurt. If you broadcast feed, especially with all flow turned off, you probably don't need to spot feed at all.

I have mine in a coral only tank (40g cube aio). I have a good light and get a PAR in the 100 to 125 range at the sand (all mine are in pvc end caps in the sand bed). I spot feed once or twice a month, but I seriously doubt that I need to spot feed at all.

BTW, I don't think feeding them frequently has anything to do with their propagation. In fact, they are probably more likely to propagate if they are stressed (just like many other animals and plants).

Gregpetro

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm by no means an expert but I feed mine every 2 to 3 days when there small and once a week when they get bigger. If you feed the small ones they will grow a lot faster. Also if you feed the babies I have seen a better survival rate. Just my experience tho.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

RED SEA
Back