Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the powder is out in u.s now ! Just ordered some any thoughts on the product yet?
I've been using the powder for the last 8 months in a new system. Seems to be keeping everything very stable and in sync for me. I'm currently dosing 29ml a day. Thus far very happy with it. It does take quite a while mixing though, I mix a litre a month

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the powder for the last 8 months in a new system. Seems to be keeping everything very stable and in sync for me. I'm currently dosing 29ml a day. Thus far very happy with it. It does take quite a while mixing though, I mix a litre a month
I stopped using it, I was getting high magnesium and slowing snails. Do you have any mag issues

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None what so ever, in fact I actually been adding a tiny amount of mag
Do you constantly stir your mixture, I was getting a brown settling on the bottom. At first it seemed ok but I stopped testing mag and stopped stirring and let it settle out,, and mag crept up and alk was wonky but im not blaming it on AFR maybe it was my mixing .

Did yours settle out?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211124-140344_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20211124-140344_Gallery.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 39

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

PS if you mix it in a gallon pitcher with a pump it mixes a lot quicker than shaking by hand.

Spare time

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you constantly stir your mixture, I was getting a brown settling on the bottom. At first it seemed ok but I stopped testing mag and stopped stirring and let it settle out,, and mag crept up and alk was wonky but im not blaming it on AFR maybe it was my mixing .

Did yours settle out?

I think that is iron precipitate or something (I saw tropic marin mention this somewhere)

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After about two years of the release of this product, how do you guys think about it?
No better option for and AIO nano IMO. Started with the liquid, moved to the DIY and now using the powder. Magnesium is consumed faster than alk & calcium, but I dose a couple times a month to raise it about 100. January is ICP time and I'm sure a few trace elements are going to be off, but no dosing method is perfect. I give AFR an A overall. The only flaw is it doesn't raise pH.

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No better option for and AIO nano IMO. Started with the liquid, moved to the DIY and now using the powder. Magnesium is consumed faster than alk & calcium, but I dose a couple times a month to raise it about 100. January is ICP time and I'm sure a few trace elements are going to be off, but no dosing method is perfect. I give AFR an A overall. The only flaw is it doesn't raise pH.
That doesn’t sound right, alk and calcium are normally used at a greater rate, and to have to increase mag by 100 each month sounds abnormal.

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That doesn’t sound right, alk and calcium are normally used at a greater rate, and to have to increase mag by 100 each month sounds abnormal.
Not abnormal. Different organisms uptake elements at different rates. Coralline algae, from what I've read, uptakes magnesium more quickly than calcium for example. Some replenishment systems use alkalinity while others use calcium to calculate dosage. Tropic Marin's AFR ionic balanced approach is great, but it cannot account for all situations. Eventually, something will deplete faster than the others.

Top Shelf Aquatics

ShadowMan

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all -
I have just mixed up my first batch (1.5L), it does indeed have a very slight tint to it. I was going to buy one of those cheap magnetic stirrers but decided to try adding the RO and powder to a 2L bottle and shaking it. Shake for 30 seconds, stood for a minute, repeated this another 2 times and thats it, its mixed really well.
I bought a cheap magnetic stirrer from Amazon for £35.

Coupled this with a 1L lab flask and mixing a fresh batch is a piece of cake with minimal residue. I then pour the mix into an old RS Foundation Liquid 1L bottle complete with dosing tube and it's good to go ;)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not abnormal. Different organisms uptake elements at different rates. Coralline algae, from what I've read, uptakes magnesium more quickly than calcium for example. Some replenishment systems use alkalinity while others use calcium to calculate dosage. Tropic Marin's AFR ionic balanced approach is great, but it cannot account for all situations. Eventually, something will deplete faster than the others.

The 100 ppm per month seems off to me.

It is true that coralline uses magnesium faster than many corals, per unit of calcium consumed, but it's still only about 1/10th of the calcium consumption even if coralline is the only user and even if the AFR had zero magnesium in it.

That means you are consuming 1,000 ppm of calcium in a month, or 32 ppm per day of calcium and 4.8 dKH per day of alk.

That's a very high rate, IMO.

AS

Reef.

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

It is true that coralline uses magnesium faster than many corals, per unit of calcium consumed, but it's still only about 1/10th of the calcium consumption even if coralline is the only user and even if the AFR had zero magnesium in it.

That means you are consuming 1,000 ppm of calcium in a month, or 32 ppm per day of calcium and 4.8 dKH per day of alk.

Have you also factored in the mg, alk and calcium the AFR is adding? The 100ppm mag dosing was just the extra mag the op was dosing on top of the AFR.

Reef Psychology

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Perhaps I’m not adding enough to the mix during water changes. I’ll test next weekend. Thanks Randy!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Top Shelf Aquatics
Back