All For Reef Or All-For-Reef Mix?

BRS

For tanks over 100G (where you use 30 ml or more Alk Media) what do you use? Share your experience

• All-For-Reef pre-mixed liquid (costly stuff)

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • All-For-Reef pre-mixed powder mix 800 gram

Votes: 6 13.3%
  • All-For-Reef pre-mixed powder mix 1600 gram

Votes: 29 64.4%
  • AFR Liquid today but contemplating switching to AFR power mix completely

Votes: 3 6.7%
  • AFR Liquid today but contemplating switching to part AFR powder mix and part continue pre-mix liquid

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

McPuff

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gal SPS reef and dose about 170ml / day and run Kalk on my ATO. It's a bit expensive and I'd like to dose more kalk to provide a "baseline" and then reduce my AFR by half or so. I used to run a CARX which was great but it just required too much adjusting and extra equipment. I switched to the GHL profilux and KH director and now that I only use a single solution (AFR), the 4-head doser basically does everything for me. And I can control it all remotely which is very helpful. I don't both testing CA or MG except for when I send in ICP tests. If you do need to increase 1 parameter but not others, you will need to have the individual components on hand (ALK, CA, MG, etc.). The AFR mix seems to do a great job. My tank looks better than when I was running a CARX.

OP
OP
Singspot

Singspot

Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 300 gal SPS reef and dose about 170ml / day and run Kalk on my ATO. It's a bit expensive and I'd like to dose more kalk to provide a "baseline" and then reduce my AFR by half or so. I used to run a CARX which was great but it just required too much adjusting and extra equipment. I switched to the GHL profilux and KH director and now that I only use a single solution (AFR), the 4-head doser basically does everything for me. And I can control it all remotely which is very helpful. I don't both testing CA or MG except for when I send in ICP tests. If you do need to increase 1 parameter but not others, you will need to have the individual components on hand (ALK, CA, MG, etc.). The AFR mix seems to do a great job. My tank looks better than when I was running a CARX.

Do you use the AFR pre-mixed liquid or AFR powder and make liquid yourself?

How long have you been using the stuff?

McPuff

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you use the AFR pre-mixed liquid or AFR powder and make liquid yourself?

How long have you been using the stuff?

Oh gosh, definitely the powder! I'd be flat broke if I used the pre-mixed. :0)

I have been using AFR for almost a year. While there are a couple other factors involved, my corals have never looked so good. My change in equipment also resulted in higher pH so that has helped. And my nutrients have gone down quite a bit. Still have some work to do but it's looking good. I do recommend AFR.

Vladthelarge

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been using the AFR mix for the last 9 months with great success. I use one of the BRS jugs, mix up a new batch at a ratio of 18 scopes to 1800 ml of RODI, put the cap on it, and store it in my sump room. TBH, scoping the powder into the small opening of the jug is a bit of pain so I'm looking for a way to mix by weight and pour it into the jug for storage.

I use about 40-50ml via an auto doser so that jug lasts me a long time. I had one jug mix that was causing alk swings and I chalk that up to me miss-mixing it that one time. The next batch from the same source kept levvels rock solid.

Dolphis

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Been using AFR on my 165g total volume system. Got a small bottle of the liquid form when it first came out to test it on my system. After that, I just bought the larger powder mix, since it’s more cost effective.

I use a small bucket with RODI and mix it using a small power head. I leave it mixing while doing other things, since there’s no worry of over-mixing.

I mix 6000ml batches, store 5000ml of that in a large jug and the remaining 1000ml in a measuring bottle.

I dispense 40ml through out the day via a dosing pump for my 165g and use the measuring bottle to manually dispense 10ml a day for smaller nano.

I definitely enjoy using AFR, it’s so easy to use and does a great job keeping my corals.
I will say, that I recent learned that because of the type of calcium that’s used in AFR, it takes a while for the solution to process in the tank and so any changes aren’t immediate, like with kalk.
Not that it’s a bad thing, but something to keep in mind when dialing in the dosage

alindell

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've noticed that ever since I started dosing it combined with jalk a d every now and thwn feeding my corals; all of my corals have seen an explosion of growth. Coloration seems to have improved. Or stayed about the same. Certain ones look better than others and that may be due to feeding them

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Copepods
Back