Algea ID anyone??

stoned-reefer83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank that has been up and running since mid January of this year. It's been through several ugly stages, but now there's a green algea or something that is covering my rocks and it doesn't scrape off. Can someone help me identify what is going on? The lights are out and my wife is in bed so I can't test water. I did my bi weekly parameter check yesterday but everything was in range like its supposed to be

20240813_230706.jpg 20240813_230650.jpg

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like just the early stages of a new tanks growth to me! How old is the tank? IF new, and no corals or nems yet, leave the lights off for a couple months. That goes a long way towards keeping the ugly phase at bay. I left mine off for the 1st 3.5 months and virtually avoided the uglies all together. That was just about a year ago now.

OP
OP
stoned-reefer83

stoned-reefer83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 7 months old. I've delt with algea issues from the beginning, bit this one is new to me, it doesn't scrape off of the rocks, it's not slimy or have a film like appearance to it. As far as corals go, I only have a couple zoas in this tank at the moment

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Almost 7 months old. I've delt with algea issues from the beginning, bit this one is new to me, it doesn't scrape off of the rocks, it's not slimy or have a film like appearance to it. As far as corals go, I only have a couple zoas in this tank at the moment
Okay, well with the zoa's, you have to have the lights, but if the algae does not come off, then it is indeed just a part of the tank maturing. Just let it do it's thing. The rocks will change quite a bit over time as they eventually become live rock.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am not.mistaken, color aside, I would want this to happen with white rocks in a new tank. You want life to cover their surfaces to allow for benthic succession. I am not sure there is an escape from the uglies without your rock becoming live.

OP
OP
stoned-reefer83

stoned-reefer83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Okay, well with the zoa's, you have to have the lights, but if the algae does not come off, then it is indeed just a part of the tank maturing. Just let it do it's thing. The rocks will change quite a bit over time as they eventually become live rock.
Ok, thanks! I just checked Po4 and No3 and both are zero.

OP
OP
stoned-reefer83

stoned-reefer83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If I am not.mistaken, color aside, I would want this to happen with white rocks in a new tank. You want life to cover their surfaces to allow for benthic succession. I am not sure there is an escape from the uglies without your rock becoming live.
Yeah I'm just ready for things to settle down lol
I'm building a 75 gallon right now and all I can think is "I get to go through this all over again!" This time around though I'm more educated lol

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks! I just checked Po4 and No3 and both are zero.
If you can bring those numbers up just a bit that will help fight algae, but again, the green you have now is a good thing, not a bad thing. You should want those numbers to be around 10 ppm for NO3, and .03 t0 .10 ppm for NO4. How often do you feed your fish?

OP
OP
stoned-reefer83

stoned-reefer83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can bring those numbers up just a bit that will help fight algae, but again, the green you have now is a good thing, not a bad thing. You should want those numbers to be around 10 ppm for NO3, and .03 t0 .10 ppm for NO4. How often do you feed your fish?
I can bring those up. I've been having to feed my inverts lately one maybe twice weekly cause there hasn't been much for the to feed on lately. I have no fish in there, and I recently started target feeding my Zoas once a week

Sophie"s mom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can bring those up. I've been having to feed my inverts lately one maybe twice weekly cause there hasn't been much for the to feed on lately. I have no fish in there, and I recently started target feeding my Zoas once a week
Can you get a couple fish? Like clowns or something? That will help the whole process a lot.

OP
OP
stoned-reefer83

stoned-reefer83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Can you get a couple fish? Like clowns or something? That will help the whole process a lot.
Yes I thought about getting a damsel for it. It's just a 10 gallon so I'm limited. It was my first saltwater tank. I didn't listen when everyone told me it would be harder to maintain than a larger system lol
I'm currently taking my time and building a 75 gallon

OP
OP
stoned-reefer83

stoned-reefer83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I did have a couple fish in the beginning and I had an ammonia spike and lost it all, it has deterred me from putting any more in there lol

OP
OP
stoned-reefer83

stoned-reefer83

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is my new endeavor lol

Attachments

• 20240731_151636.jpg
    20240731_151636.jpg
    133.2 KB · Views: 23
  • 20240806_092737.jpg
    20240806_092737.jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 22

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I have a 10 gallon tank that has been up and running since mid January of this year. It's been through several ugly stages, but now there's a green algea or something that is covering my rocks and it doesn't scrape off. Can someone help me identify what is going on? The lights are out and my wife is in bed so I can't test water. I did my bi weekly parameter check yesterday but everything was in range like its supposed to be

20240813_230706.jpg 20240813_230650.jpg
Looks like surface and turf algae. Often associated with bright light. light from a nearby window and elevated phosphates. Scrubbing with a tooth brush and adding pencil urchin, astrea-cerith-nassarius and nerite snails will help clean this up

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back