Algae ID needed

Mr31415

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know algae is not a "critter" - so I hope this is the right place to ask.

I am pretty sure this is cyanobacteria and some brown algae. I have taken photos under different illuminations. This is from my reef aquarium - growing on the rocks.

So I was thinking the lighter, long thin strands are some type of cyanobacteria, and the brighter orange / brown is some kind of brown algae - any idea on species? The thin strands move around just like other cyanobacteria I have observed before.

IMG_0003.jpg

10x, DF

IMG_0009.jpg

40x, DIC

IMG_0018.jpg

10x, Fluorescence (cyano = yellow, brown algae = red?)

And here is a macro shot of where it grows in the aquarium and its macro appearance:
_DSC9374.jpg

Gumbies R Us

Certified Noob
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know algae is not a "critter" - so I hope this is the right place to ask.

I am pretty sure this is cyanobacteria and some brown algae. I have taken photos under different illuminations. This is from my reef aquarium - growing on the rocks.

So I was thinking the lighter, long thin strands are some type of cyanobacteria, and the brighter orange / brown is some kind of brown algae - any idea on species? The thin strands move around just like other cyanobacteria I have observed before.

IMG_0003.jpg

10x, DF

IMG_0009.jpg

40x, DIC

IMG_0018.jpg

10x, Fluorescence (cyano = yellow, brown algae = red?)

And here is a macro shot of where it grows in the aquarium and its macro appearance:
_DSC9374.jpg
Is it anywhere else in your tank or just in that photo?

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back