Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had bought a green bubble tip anemone a couple months ago, I had a clownfish that would always stay with it until I lost him. Ever since that happened my anemone has not been the same since. The picture was from last night. Any suggestions as to what is going on? (Everything else is doing great and happy)

0185FC8A-3F75-4A2C-A494-16E392156ADA.jpeg

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why did you lose the clown?

Which lights do you have installed?

Also, please tell us your water temp, salinity, ALK and Nitrate numbers.
I could not give a good reason as to why I lost the clown, I came home from work and noticed it was completely missing. I didn’t see it on the floor or in the overflow.

The lights are Kessil a360w

last checked on this was at
Temp - 78.4
Salinity - 1.026
Alk - 9.8
Nitrate - 22

I’m gonna do another test tonight after work. But those numbers were from a couple days ago

Top Shelf Aquatics

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I could not give a good reason as to why I lost the clown, I came home from work and noticed it was completely missing. I didn’t see it on the floor or in the overflow.

The lights are Kessil a360w

last checked on this was at
Temp - 78.4
Salinity - 1.026
Alk - 9.8
Nitrate - 22

I’m gonna do another test tonight after work. But those numbers were from a couple days ago

The reason I ask is because I am dealing with a similar situation (not as bad as yours).

2 green BTAs in one tank are monsters; they are fully inflated. While a second tank has two BTA's that are under inflated (not as bad as yours).

The difference is the tank with under inflated BTAs had no detectable nitrates and ALK was sitting at 7.

I don't think lighting and flow are your issue as BTAs will move around the tank until they find a spot they like.

Your numbers look ok; I like having some level of nitrate in the tank. But if you could test and post your current numbers, it would be interesting to see how they compare to the numbers above.

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason I ask is because I am dealing with a similar situation (not as bad as yours).

2 green BTAs in one tank are monsters; they are fully inflated. While a second tank has two BTA's that are under inflated (not as bad as yours).

The difference is the tank with under inflated BTAs had no detectable nitrates and ALK was sitting at 7.

I don't think lighting and flow are your issue as BTAs will move around the tank until they find a spot they like.

Your numbers look ok; I like having some level of nitrate in the tank. But if you could test and post your current numbers, it would be interesting to see how they compare to the numbers above.
I can do that for sure this afternoon. I do know at night after the lights in the tank is off the anemone inflates pretty big but when the lights come on it does that. It was fine up til that clown went missing completely

World Wide Corals
OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you have a cleanup crew or something that could have eaten the clown? Did the anemone eat it and is now suffering from indegestion :grimacing-face:
That would be the only reasonable suggestion that the cleanup crew could have eaten the clown. I may have forgotten to mention I lost the clown roughly 1 1/2 month ago, would the anemone still have that issue if it did eat the clown?

this is actually the third fish that had mysteriously disappeared since I have gotten into this hobby.

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That would be the only reasonable suggestion that the cleanup crew could have eaten the clown. I may have forgotten to mention I lost the clown roughly 1 1/2 month ago, would the anemone still have that issue if it did eat the clown?

this is actually the third fish that had mysteriously disappeared since I have gotten into this hobby.
Oh, that long? I doubt it, but anemones are weird. You should probably figure out the disappearing fish trick though… how big is the tank/cleanup crew?

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh, that long? I doubt it, but anemones are weird. You should probably figure out the disappearing fish trick though… how big is the tank/cleanup crew?
I have a handful of snails (different kinds) a few blue leg hermits, and a peppermint shrimp. I do have a brittle star that I’ve heard would eat dead fish but I haven’t seen that happen yet.

when I had my 55 before my upgrade I had a powder brown that disappeared and I didn’t have much of any clean up crew then just mainly snails.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I had bought a green bubble tip anemone a couple months ago, I had a clownfish that would always stay with it until I lost him. Ever since that happened my anemone has not been the same since. The picture was from last night. Any suggestions as to what is going on? (Everything else is doing great and happy)

View attachment 3115453
Nitrates can come down a little as BTA anemones prefer 15 or below. Also your lights look a little bright which causes it to hide as in picture. Same may happen if too much flow which forces them to move or hide. Assure nitrates have not become elevated and how are you testing water ?

C4ctus99

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a handful of snails (different kinds) a few blue leg hermits, and a peppermint shrimp. I do have a brittle star that I’ve heard would eat dead fish but I haven’t seen that happen yet.

when I had my 55 before my upgrade I had a powder brown that disappeared and I didn’t have much of any clean up crew then just mainly snails.
I don’t even want to know how a tang can disappear in a 55…

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates can come down a little as BTA anemones prefer 15 or below. Also your lights look a little bright which causes it to hide as in picture. Same may happen if too much flow which forces them to move or hide. Assure nitrates have not become elevated and how are you testing water ?
The lights were turn on white for the picture, seen some post where people say to do that for pictures. I have turned the flow down since setting up the tank even to the point of switching wave makers each week (2 in tank). For testing I use Red Sea and Hanna checkers. Hanna checkers are my back up if a number don’t seem right on Red Sea. What are the options to lower and keeping it low on the nitrates?

OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t even want to know how a tang can disappear in a 55…
Trust me I have been trying to figure that out since it happened. I have canopy’s on every tank I’ve had but they do have a small opening in the back, but never seen a fish on the floor.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
dirty_south87

dirty_south87

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you looked at your tank at night with a flashlight? You may have a predator that's eating your fish and/or irritating the anemone.
Not every night but occasionally I do go by and look around at night. If there is something in there how would I go about finding it and getting rid of it?

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back