A fish to "sit on the rocks"

mythesis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since my wife saw a Longnose Hawkfish just ... chilling ... on the rockwork at the LFS, she's wanted something that will do that.

However, we have Fire Shrimp that we greatly enjoy, and there are reports that that's a bad idea to combine.

So, is there another fish you'd suggest that will enjoy the aquascape she so lovingly created? I saw some posts about Tailspot Blennies, so maybe that would fit the bill?

90 Gal Tank (only 2 months in, so still easing into this)

Current Inhabitants:
- 2 Blood Red Fire Shrimp
- 2 Clowns
- Linespot Wrasse
- Solar Wrasse

In QT:
- Link's Goby
- Court Jester Goby
- Royal Gramma

Future Plan:
- Mandarin
- Flame Angel (?)
- Maybe Tang (call the police...)

PXL_20240930_164642816.MP.jpg

OP
OP
mythesis

mythesis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love my red scooter blenny- she’s made friends with my yellow watchman goby and they are regularly seen cuddled up together on the rocks!
What a beautiful fish!

Guessing having enough pods for both a Mandarin and a Scooter would be tough without a humming refugium though.

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever since my wife saw a Longnose Hawkfish just ... chilling ... on the rockwork at the LFS, she's wanted something that will do that.

However, we have Fire Shrimp that we greatly enjoy, and there are reports that that's a bad idea to combine.

So, is there another fish you'd suggest that will enjoy the aquascape she so lovingly created? I saw some posts about Tailspot Blennies, so maybe that would fit the bill?

Current Inhabitants:
- 2 Clowns
- Linespot Wrasse
- Solar Wrasse

In QT:
- Link's Goby
- Court Jester Goby
- Royal Gramma

Future Plan:
- Mandarin
- Flame Angel (?)
To answer your question, I would suggest a Saddleback/Valentini puffer. They will park themselves on the rock work, but that is more when the lights are coming down and the tank is getting ready to call it a night.

Some friendly advice: Considering the age of the tank, what is in it, what is in QT and your "future plan", I don't know that I would describe you approach as "easing". I would suggest taking your foot off the throttle a bit.

I'm happy to see that you QT!!

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To answer your question, I would suggest a Saddleback/Valentini puffer.
He has two fire shrimp that would be gone day one. They are mostly not reef safe and nibble at fins of tank mates, etc. Cool fish, but I am puzzled at the suggestion for somebody who you are also suggesting easing into things.

I can heartily recommend a Starry Blenny. They are lazy rocksitters, but also have plenty of personality and don't take any crap from anyone. Mine also goes berserk at feeding time, he's a round-bellied piglet.
Neat fish, but I would suggest captive bred for any large breed algae blenny, many wild specimens end up starving in captive reefs, especially newer setups.

tailspot is a good choice, mine made his home in a rock and his head is always perched out, very cute.
Very docile fish and they love to sit high on rocks and observe.

Clown gobies. Small hawk fish (geometric pygmy hawk I think). Coral crouchers (venomous).
I had a model citizen hawkfish (arc eye) for over a decade, but I think that is the rarity, not the norm. They are opportunistic and if hungry, well anything goes. They also grow rather quickly. Cool personalities though.

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
He has two fire shrimp that would be gone day one. They are mostly not reef safe and nibble at fins of tank mates, etc. Cool fish, but I am puzzled at the suggestion for somebody who you are also suggesting easing into things.

Neat fish, but I would suggest captive bred for any large breed algae blenny, many wild specimens end up starving in captive reefs, especially newer setups.

I had a model citizen hawk fish for over a decade, but I think that is the rarity, not the norm. They are opportunistic and if hungry, well anything goes. They also grow rather quickly. Cool personalities though.
I had one of the geometric years ago. They remain around 2" and dont mess with larger (cleaner/blood) shrimp. I would think it would be a toss up on peppermint and sexy would be on the menu.

BeanAnimal

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had one of the geometric years ago. They remain around 2" and dont mess with larger (cleaner/blood) shrimp. I would think it would be a toss up on peppermint and sexy would be on the menu.
Thanks for the info - I don't know a lot about the geometric, so something new to research. Will they prey on other small bottom blennies or gobies?

twentyleagues

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info - I don't know a lot about the geometric, so something new to research. Will they prey on other small bottom blennies or gobies?
I had some clown gobies and a couple neon gobies in the tank with mine he never ate any of them. He was territorial, but had a nice little patch of my tank and didnt venture to far away from it. He would chase other fish that came to close.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can heartily recommend a Starry Blenny. They are lazy rocksitters, but also have plenty of personality and don't take any crap from anyone. Mine also goes berserk at feeding time, he's a round-bellied piglet.
This ^^^

austin_socal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Current Inhabitants:
- 2 Clowns
- Linespot Wrasse
- Solar Wrasse

In QT:
- Link's Goby
- Court Jester Goby
- Royal Gramma

Future Plan:
- Mandarin
- Flame Angel (?)

PXL_20240930_164642816.MP.jpg
Midas or tailspot blennies are nice

OP
OP
mythesis

mythesis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I had a model citizen hawkfish (arc eye) for over a decade, but I think that is the rarity, not the norm. They are opportunistic and if hungry, well anything goes. They also grow rather quickly. Cool personalities though.
Thanks for all these thoughts --- I don't see someone providing aquacultured Starry Blenny, do you have a resource in mind?

timmyrules

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mandarins are good fish that just sit on rocks, and hover around looking for food. If you decide to do a mandarin, I would get one that eats frozens, or you could try and train one. But sometimes even with constant training, they just won’t eat frozens. Blennys are another option, but keep in mind- *If there is ANY gap in the lid, they will wedge themselves in, and get out of the tank.*

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back