8020 Quick Connect Aluminum Stand Build

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
After a long break from reefing, I'm bored with my planted tank and decided to waste a bunch of money and setup a small zoa nano by my desk...

I have a lot of experience working with T-Slot (https://www.reef2reef.com/ams/guide-to-diy-with-t-slot-aluminum.855) but came across something even easier and better looking - '8020's Quick Frame' - Its 1 inch bar that connects with friction-based connectors. I decided to give it a try instead of my normal T-Slot style

Worked Great! The connectors are no joke, you will need a mallet/hammer to firmly put them in place, but one they are attached they aren't going anywhere (so make sure you get it right the first time). Here is the IM15 stand i build for about $120 (the acrylic panels were an additional 70$). I put some Amazon industrial casters and a cheap aliexpress LED strip light along the inner frame and got a really cool effect!

1.jpg

4.jpg

(note - the acrylic i used is a flat-black translucent acrylic I purchased from TAP)

3.jpg

2.jpg

8020 Parts:

Since it is currently only offered in 1-inch bar, I would recommend the quick-connect type for something under 40 gallons or so...

Last edited:

Harpo

Coral Junkie
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Cool. I love my extruded aluminum stands. What is the strength of those plastic connectors? Is that just a friction fit?

OP
OP
polyppal

polyppal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cool. I love my extruded aluminum stands. What is the strength of those plastic connectors? Is that just a friction fit?
They are pretty heavy duty, nylon I believe. I wouldn’t worry about them as a weak point on a sub-40/50 gallon tank. It’s friction fit, but you do have to hammer them in pretty convincingly, one they go on they aren’t ever coming back off…

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back