5x XR15 G6 Pro or 3x ReeFi Uno 2.1 Pro on 5 ft tank?

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am currently running 3x XR15 G6 + 2x AI Blade Glows. I am looking to improve my light coverage / shadowing.

Should I add 2 more xr15s or change the xr15s out for ReeFi Uno 2.1 Pros?

or possible replace the left and right xr15s for the ReeFis since my aquascape is focused on 2 rocks.

I am running the blades and xr15s at 50% and keeping a mixed reef.

1719256973425.png

1719256948323.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
swap for the reefi's. more power, cheaper, and longer warranty. you'll likely have money left over to buy fish or corals
If I go that route I plan to move 2 of the xr 15s to my 40 gallons I have beside the main tank. They currently have 1 per tank (that was the other 2 I was thinking of adding to the main tank). I am leaning towards this decision. Then I'd have 1 extra XR15 to sell/use for another tank :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
0.jpg

GARRIGA

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep bouncing between blades and staying with XRs but hard to beat a spread of blades covering the tank same as a set of T5s. Not a cheap cut version but would likely provide the least shade

shakacuz

hang loose, cuz
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
If I go that route I plan to move 2 of the xr 15s to my 40 gallons I have beside the main tank. They currently have 1 per tank (that was the other 2 I was thinking of adding to the main tank). I am leaning towards this decision. Then I'd have 1 extra XR15 to sell/use for another tank :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:
0.jpg
solid plan

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I spoke with a Reefi rep and they suggested 2x Uno2.1 Pro with 120° reflectors or 3x Uno2.1 Pro with 90° reflectors. It also sounds like I'll have to run them at a super low intensity because of their crazy power output compared to my XR15s.

I am now starting to lean towards 1x XR15 in the middle and 2 Uno 2.1 PRO on the sides above each rock. That way I'll just move 2x XR15s to the 40s and leave the middle XR15 running, but I wonder if mixing the lights would produce any weird affects/colorations...:thinking-face:

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been running 4 of my XR15s on the tank to see how much the coverage improved. I am still getting a lot of shadowing. What do y'all think about 3x ReeFi Uno 2.1 Pro with 90° mounted at 12" with my AI Glows? I just wish there were more examples of tanks running the ReeFis.
1720904718623.png

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I've been running 4 of my XR15s on the tank to see how much the coverage improved. I am still getting a lot of shadowing. What do y'all think about 3x ReeFi Uno 2.1 Pro with 90° mounted at 12" with my AI Glows? I just wish there were more examples of tanks running the ReeFis.
1720904718623.png
I sold my xr15's and going with 2 Reefi uno 2.1. The information is out there just have to dig and Daniel will answer any question you send him.
The main thing that sold me on the Reefi is the raw power and coverage for such a small factor light.
I will be using the 120degree reflector with 4 36in t5 over a 4ft tank.
I think if you use 3 Reefi 2.1's with the Ai glows you would be pleased but again thats just my opinion as in the end it will be your choice.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I sold my xr15's and going with 2 Reefi uno 2.1. The information is out there just have to dig and Daniel will answer any question you send him.
The main thing that sold me on the Reefi is the raw power and coverage for such a small factor light.
I will be using the 120degree reflector with 4 36in t5 over a 4ft tank.
I think if you use 3 Reefi 2.1's with the Ai glows you would be pleased but again thats just my opinion as in the end it will be your choice.
Do you have the lights yet?

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just wish there were more examples of tanks running the ReeFis.
What exactly do you want to see or ask about the ReeFis?

I run both the Uno 1 and the Uno 2.0 on 2 different system (~6ft and ~4ft), both SPS dominated and if you look for my past replies on the subject in the forums you’ll see some pics of them that I’ve shared over time.

They can pretty much grow everything, and with great success, while also providing a quite large range of spectrum customization and spreading options.

Here’s a reference to one of my last posts where I’ve shared pics of my show frag tank.
Welcome to R2R!

I join others recommending 2 ReeFi Uno 2.0 Pro.

My frag tank is of a similar size (1070x640x400 mm, excluding the 10cm overflow on the side) and that’s the exact setup I run myself, getting 1008 to 380 PAR top to bottom (SPS dominated) with the 90deg reeflectors with lights mounted 50cm above the tank.

You don’t have to mount them this high though, it’s convenient for me because it is a frag tank, but I also kinda like the looks of it.

The ReeFis is overpowered enough for you to be able to choose between real daylight and blue spectrums, so you can choose whatever spectrum you like after purchasing the light and not before, or even combine them based on schedule like I do.

And no, I wouldn’t even consider adding additional fillers - it’ll be too much imo.

IMG_2847.jpeg

IMG_2843.jpeg

IMG_2823.jpeg

IMG_2813.jpeg

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What exactly do you want to see or ask about the ReeFis?

I run both the Uno 1 and the Uno 2.0 on 2 different system (~6ft and ~4ft), both SPS dominated and if you look for my past replies on the subject in the forums you’ll see some pics of them that I’ve shared over time.

They can pretty much grow everything, and with great success, while also providing a quite large range of spectrum customization and spreading options.

Here’s a reference to one of my last posts where I’ve shared pics of my show frag tank.
  1. How big is the actual uno 2 fixture? I'm seeing 2 measurements when I search online.
  2. Have you had any syncing issues with the lights?
  3. How white does the light get to the naked eye?
Got them in today and just now getting them out playing with the settings
Let me know how setting them up goes. I was curious how easy it would be to manage the light schedules.

Last edited:

DanyL

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. I’ll measure it later on today and post the results. But from what I know, the only difference between the 2.0 and 2.1 is the glass thickness, which I believe is the reason why you may have seen more than one measurement.

2. As a technical person that understands the underlaying implementation (pretty much all network devices act the same) I can go in detail on how it works, but it may also overwhelm others - so I’ll provide both.

In short - In 3 and half years of using ReeFi (All models implement the same synchronization) with a total of 9 fixtures, including multiple groups I had maybe 3-4 occasions where I had synchronization issues, which have been resolved within a couple of minutes by manually updating to the new IP address that is printed on the screen.

Long version:
Fixtures can be configured as either a group or individually, however - each fixture has its own configuration regardless whether it’s part of a group or not. This essentially means that syntonization only really maters when you want to manually control or configure a group.

Groups in ReeFi consists of a list of IP addresses, each fixture has its own and as long as the router keep reserving the same address to the same fixture - they’ll stay synchronized.

This means that it depends on how your DHCP service (part of your router) manages address reservations, which usually will stay the same as long as the router configuration hasn’t been reset. Some routers however can prevent long term address reservations on purpose, and in this case you can configure static address for each fixture, which basically makes sure the address will never change and thus will prevent any future synchronization issues.

3. I never been able to properly pass that crisp white look I can see in person - but it’s quite appealing, and it’s not only white but in fact a full spectrum “white”, which means that it’s actually very bright and vibrant, and not “dull” like many lights appear when you set them to a “while look”.

This is basically the benefit of having So much excess power, because you are able to utilize it to “over power” channels which are usually limited on other fixtures that prioritize a blue spectrum with no much slack above to play with.

OP
OP
SaltwaterScoop

SaltwaterScoop

Conqueror of Dinos
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
1. I’ll measure it later on today and post the results. But from what I know, the only difference between the 2.0 and 2.1 is the glass thickness, which I believe is the reason why you may have seen more than one measurement.

2. As a technical person that understands the underlaying implementation (pretty much all network devices act the same) I can go in detail on how it works, but it may also overwhelm others - so I’ll provide both.

In short - In 3 and half years of using ReeFi (All models implement the same synchronization) with a total of 9 fixtures, including multiple groups I had maybe 3-4 occasions where I had synchronization issues, which have been resolved within a couple of minutes by manually updating to the new IP address that is printed on the screen.

Long version:
Fixtures can be configured as either a group or individually, however - each fixture has its own configuration regardless whether it’s part of a group or not. This essentially means that syntonization only really maters when you want to manually control or configure a group.

Groups in ReeFi consists of a list of IP addresses, each fixture has its own and as long as the router keep reserving the same address to the same fixture - they’ll stay synchronized.

This means that it depends on how your DHCP service (part of your router) manages address reservations, which usually will stay the same as long as the router configuration hasn’t been reset. Some routers however can prevent long term address reservations on purpose, and in this case you can configure static address for each fixture, which basically makes sure the address will never change and thus will prevent any future synchronization issues.

3. I never been able to properly pass that crisp white look I can see in person - but it’s quite appealing, and it’s not only white but in fact a full spectrum “white”, which means that it’s actually very bright and vibrant, and not “dull” like many lights appear when you set them to a “while look”.

This is basically the benefit of having So much excess power, because you are able to utilize it to “over power” channels which are usually limited on other fixtures that prioritize a blue spectrum with no much slack above to play with.
I really appreciate the detailed response! I can assign static IPs to devices with my current router so I'll do that to be proactive.

Manose

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
  1. How big is the actual uno 2 fixture? I'm seeing 2 measurements when I search online.
  2. Have you had any syncing issues with the lights?
  3. How white does the light get to the naked eye?

Let me know how setting them up goes. I was curious how easy it would be to manage the light schedules.
Well I took them out and connected them to the network and that was flawless.
The scheduling is pretty straight foward and mostly just point and click on my lap top.
Grouping them was super easy as it has a grouping feature on the program.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back