32 gallon Biocube thread post pics of your or questions on it!

stephydawn

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Definitely a loaded question and all depends on stock, feeding schedule, dosing method, etc etc… But as very general advice, starting out I would stick with once a week to make sure you’re replenishing you’re system with trace elements and reducing nutrient levels until you get to know your system better.
Thanks, I forgot that I’ll be replenishing trace elements with water changes as well. I think I’ll start off once a week and go from there.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
xtravism

xtravism

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here’s my cube. Been running for like 6 months but had a previous cube that cracked before this one. Your cuc is way underpowered imo. I have 20+ cerith snails, 4 banded trochus, 4 spiny astrea, like 20 nassarius and 7 hermit crabs. And a fighting conch. I only do a water change once a month of about 4-5 gallons.

Edit: Added some more pics because you can’t see everything from one angle.
I have more then just what I said before but anything more then like 1 cleaner per gallon is way too many I think the amount I have is too much as is and it’s not even that many. Just they are always going over a coral or something and making it close.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t have a biocube, I have a 28g Nanocube, but it’s pretty much the same thing.

I currently do a five gallon water change weekly (works out to around 25%).

My CuC is probably (I started small and have added to it and had a couple deaths, so I’m estimating) 20 various snails, 10 hermits, and a fighting conch (also some stomatellas, spaghetti worms, asterinas, mini brittle stars, etc).

I currently dose 2 part, kalk saturated vinegar, neophos, and RedSea AB+.

I have six fish, a sixline, a Tailspot Blenny, a pink bar goby, a banggai Cardinal, and two firefish. h, and a coral banded shrimp.

I have taken the lid off and am running a Noopsyche V3 K7 140w (was previously using an AI Prime 16hd). I have a glass lid to keep evaporation down. I have an Aquamaxx NF-1 skimmer in the back, along with some filter floss that I change every couple days, some carbon, and some purigen. And then a Jebao SLW 10 and a generic little powerhead behind the rock work to keep detritus from settling back there. Also have randomizers on the dual returns (that have alternating back and forth every 20 seconds).

Around 30lbs of rock, 3/4 Caribsea life rock, 1/4 maricultured live rock. I hate the caribsea rock, and won’t be using any dry rock in the future.

And then probably 50 different corals, mostly LPS, zoas, leathers, a few mushrooms, some other random softies, a few SPS, and a few types of anemones.

C49614AB-4520-4317-A8C3-E995EFE55343.jpeg

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have more then just what I said before but anything more then like 1 cleaner per gallon is way too many I think the amount I have is too much as is and it’s not even that many. Just they are always going over a coral or something and making it close.
1 cleaner per gallon is gonna leave you with a super messy tank. That is way to few. Most people will recommend multiple snails per gallon.

Edit: I’ve been doing g this like 6 years. My original biocube cracked and this is the replacement cube. IT has been running 6 months. My other cube ran for years. I have had 0 issues with my cuc level.

MaxTremors

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1 cleaner per gallon is gonna leave you with a super messy tank. That is way to few. Most people will recommend multiple snails per gallon.

Edit: I’ve been doing g this like 6 years. My original biocube cracked and this is the replacement cube. IT has been running 6 months. My other cube ran for years. I have had 0 issues with my cuc level.
I agree, I would say an absolute minimum, depending on how much rock you have, would be 0.75 snails per gallon (not including nassarius) and 0.50 hermits per gallon. Again, that’s an absolute minimum for tanks that have minimal rock, if you have 1lb of rock per gallon or more, I would recommend 1-2 snails per gallon and 0.75-1.5 hermits per gallon.

OP
OP
xtravism

xtravism

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I use to have tanks a while ago too I’m just saying no where have I found 1 snail per a gallon. Even my lfs that is really reputable that would want to sell more snails doesn’t even recommend that.

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to have tanks a while ago too I’m just saying no where have I found 1 snail per a gallon. Even my lfs that is really reputable that would want to sell more snails doesn’t even recommend that.
It’s all over reef2reef. I haven’t seen a single mention of less than that unless you’re talking turbo snails or something that get huge.

Nutramar Foods

GatorScott

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Beautiful tank just wish it had sand to make it look more natural. What light you using?
Steve’s leds. I used to have sand but didn’t like the maintenance. Stays clean now and barely touch it. So I just added the tiles on the bottom to cover with zoas.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BC32 setup- change maybe 4 gallons every 3-4 weeks. I feed heavily and rely on a GFO reactor and a fuge to keep my PO4 in check, but my system processes NO3 very efficiently, I need to dose ESV NO3. To offset lack of water changes I dose ESV B-Ionic Transition Elements daily and Aquavitro Fuel twice weekly, on top of BRS 2 part.
Do you like your inkbird?

Nutramar Foods

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you like your inkbird?
Yes I do. My wife actually just got me another one for Christmas. One of mine has a detachable temp probe that’s plastic. My new one has a titanium probe. I prefer the one with the titanium probe it has much better temperature ranges on what you can set it to

rmorris_14

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard that titanium version doesn’t last very long in a saltwater tank and requires frequent replacement of the whole
Unit, since you can’t just switch out the probe on that version.. just when I think I had decided on at least which version I would want.. you have given me something else to think about lol. Thanks for your response

FishguyJosh

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BioCube has been running for about 3 months now. Couple of clowns, damsel, and royal gramma for fish. Cleaner shrimp, half a dozen hermit crabs, and a few snails. For corals I just started adding but I have a toadstool leather neon green trumpet and some zoas. Stock lighting and everything else. I have two fowlr tanks so this is my first go at keeping corals.

Attachments

• PXL_20211111_181550149.jpg
    PXL_20211111_181550149.jpg
    238.2 KB · Views: 45

Zoa_Fanatic

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had heard that titanium version doesn’t last very long in a saltwater tank and requires frequent replacement of the whole
Unit, since you can’t just switch out the probe on that version.. just when I think I had decided on at least which version I would want.. you have given me something else to think about lol. Thanks for your response
I’ve heard the same but honestly I’d replace the whole unit once every few years anyway. I can’t imagine it breaking down sooner than that. After all they make solid titanium heaters for saltwater

OP
OP
xtravism

xtravism

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My BioCube has been running for about 3 months now. Couple of clowns, damsel, and royal gramma for fish. Cleaner shrimp, half a dozen hermit crabs, and a few snails. For corals I just started adding but I have a toadstool leather neon green trumpet and some zoas. Stock lighting and everything else. I have two fowlr tanks so this is my first go at keeping corals.
I like the scape to it!

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Precise.Accurate.Reliable.ICP-OES by Reef Labs
Back