1 monster Aptasia....choose your weapon!!!

BRS

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol not one vote for leave it? its been there for a while. weird question but where would i get a needle/syringe if i chose to kalk paste it?

Only reason i'm leaning towards kalk paste is bc thats my main additive anyway
Depending on how long the single aiptasia has remained single, it might not be the aiptasia we’re all familiar with. There are aiptasia anemone species that, though still almost bulletproof, don’t multiply like most aiptasia. My vote is leave it for now but if thing’s suddenly spiral out of control, kalk paste will be your best friend. Honestly I wish I had a frag of the kind of aiptasia that doesn’t multiply rapidly. Aiptasia anemones really are beautiful especially when mature. Sadly there’s just isn’t a way to keep most aiptasia species from rapidly multiplying. I hope yours is the slow variety.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i don't think i've ever heard of this one! pretty sure this would work...i don't think i'd have the coconuts to do it though.
It works like a champ!

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The only problem is that in a nano tank it could lead to a catastrophic pH crash especially in smaller nanos.
I mean I guess.. if it’s a small amount and a single shot I think it’ll be fine.. at best get a small bacteria bloom.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

jabberwock

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Aptasia? Maybe not... This is a lightbulb anemone.
image2 (9).jpeg

slipstream

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I think I’m a bit late to the discussion but I’d recommend this:

20ml/cc Syringes and 20In/50cm Needles,Syringe with Long Needle https://a.co/d/23ypN8m

I picked it up of Amazon. I don’t even need to get my hands wet. I personally use the Kalkwasser method, I mix it till there’s a slight resistance drawing it into the syringe. You only need a tiny amount to cover the Aiptasia down to its base. I only do a few at at time as to not raise my alk and ph.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established nano reef (coming up on three years old) and I have an Aptasia problem. Just one gigantic Aptasia in the middle of my display. Its coming out of a hole in one of the rocks and i can see its base - its fat. I have tried nudis and peppermints in the past with great success against the smaller Aptasia but nothing even seems remotely interested in the big monster. Its sitting next to an encrusting monti but doesn't seem to be bothering it too much but I'm worried about it spitting out babies.

So here's the question - If you had just one Aptasia in your tank would you nuke it or leave it? if you would nuke it, how would you do it?
Hit it with a squirt of strong caustic soda (Sodium Hydroxide).

I use that all the time and they almost never survive if you get them in the mouth.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Fishy888

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I mean I guess.. if it’s a small amount and a single shot I think it’ll be fine.. at best get a small bacteria bloom.
His aiptasia is big and if he doesn’t get it all he’ll have little aiptasias sprouting up like tulips in spring. As a result he would likely need more vinegar than one would use for the average aiptasia. Then again maybe I’m just a bit paranoid with aiptasia anemones in general.

cwerner

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a couple starting off of some frags from a LFS. I simply used one of those pre-portioned rolls of Epoxy for 'scaping. I took a blob of that, mixed it up nicely, and just completely covered the entire aptasia with it. They never had a chance to spread and I've never had any more in a tank that's about 2 years old now.

BRS

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"F" aiptasia is what actually worked after all the "home" remedies failed.

Next time I'm just going to throw a chunk of C4 in my tank and be done with them once and for all. :D

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back