1 monster Aptasia....choose your weapon!!!

BRS

scottkoji

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an established nano reef (coming up on three years old) and I have an Aptasia problem. Just one gigantic Aptasia in the middle of my display. Its coming out of a hole in one of the rocks and i can see its base - its fat. I have tried nudis and peppermints in the past with great success against the smaller Aptasia but nothing even seems remotely interested in the big monster. Its sitting next to an encrusting monti but doesn't seem to be bothering it too much but I'm worried about it spitting out babies.

So here's the question - If you had just one Aptasia in your tank would you nuke it or leave it? if you would nuke it, how would you do it?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
Top Shelf Aquatics

Devaji

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
flame thrower fire GIF

lost a big tank to the little *&^%$#
waited to long and they spread aot faster that i thought.

what ever you do act now!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I have an established nano reef (coming up on three years old) and I have an Aptasia problem. Just one gigantic Aptasia in the middle of my display. Its coming out of a hole in one of the rocks and i can see its base - its fat. I have tried nudis and peppermints in the past with great success against the smaller Aptasia but nothing even seems remotely interested in the big monster. Its sitting next to an encrusting monti but doesn't seem to be bothering it too much but I'm worried about it spitting out babies.

So here's the question - If you had just one Aptasia in your tank would you nuke it or leave it? if you would nuke it, how would you do it?
Please post a pic if you can. My best success at 100% (non-fish) is:
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
scottkoji

scottkoji

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol not one vote for leave it? its been there for a while. weird question but where would i get a needle/syringe if i chose to kalk paste it?

Only reason i'm leaning towards kalk paste is bc thats my main additive anyway

OP
OP
scottkoji

scottkoji

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Please post a pic if you can. My best success at 100% (non-fish) is:
Using syringe, inject either lemon juice or better yet. . kalkwasser powder mixed with tank water into a paste the consistency of toothpaste and inject into the very center core and it will melt away
I'll snap a pic when i get home but it might not be easy to see

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock completely take it out, scrap it off and put superglue on the spot. If you can't remove the aiptasia from the tank then if you hit it with some chemical there is a 50/50 chance you will kill it completely but end up have 50 more in 50 days. Until you have some Peppermint shrimp or filefish, don't try to manually remove it. From my experience they always multiply when we try to remove it. In my current system they get big and fat when left alone, if you keep messing with them they just become 100s

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
scottkoji

scottkoji

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can remove the rock completely take it out, scrap it off and put superglue on the spot. If you can't remove the aiptasia from the tank then if you hit it with some chemical there is a 50/50 chance you will kill it completely but end up have 50 more in 50 days. Until you have some Peppermint shrimp or filefish, don't try to manually remove it. From my experience they always multiply when we try to remove it. In my current system they get big and fat when left alone, if you keep messing with them they just become 100s
so you're saying to leave it or wait until i have something in the tank will eat the smaller ones?

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so you're saying to leave it or wait until i have something in the tank will eat the smaller ones?
If they arent popping up like fire Id say leave it. I did a round w/ aiptasia x & pulled out the majano wand and I officially regret it. It made it worse. I'm about to roll the dice with berghia, lots of it.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol not one vote for leave it? its been there for a while. weird question but where would i get a needle/syringe if i chose to kalk paste it?

Only reason i'm leaning towards kalk paste is bc thats my main additive anyway
I typically use a old, well rinsed syringe from a salifert alk test. I just removed the plastic tip and it does the job just fine.

Nutramar Foods

Crustaceon

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh i have that! is there a metal tip under?
Nope, it should be all plastic. Just the plastic graduated tube with the plunger inside is all you need. Those kits usually come with a pink or blue plastic tip that goes on the end of the graduated tube. Remove that part.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
www.Riptideaquaculture.com
Back