Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is there a reason certain Zoas seem to be plagued with algae growing on them? Is it a sign of poor health? Not enough light/flow or to much?

There is virtually zero algae in my tank, but this green algae keeps covering some of my Zoas specifically.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks basically identical to this (photo found online), but it is just covering a few polyps, and there is zero of the algae on the rocks or frag plug.

green algae.jpg
green algae.jpg

ReefEco

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey SauceyReef - it kind of looks like green cyano actually. Siphon it out, or brush it off the rocks. You can soak the zoa frag in hydrogen peroxide (1:1 ratio with tank water, i.e. 1 cup tank water to 1 cup peroxide) for 3 minutes to disinfect it. It will stay closed for a day or two, then should be fine. I do this all the time to zoa frags.

kevgib67

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya, I just did my entire zoa garden rock in a water/ hydrogen peroxide dip last weekend. Prior I just did a plug at a time. Algae was a bit prolific after coming back from vacation even though I premade 1/3 of my daily fish food and explained to the person taking care of my tank that the fish will be up for an oscar acting like they are starving. She must have fell for the act.

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks yall! The strange thing is that there is none of this algae on any of my rocks, sand, or glass. It is not even on the frag plug. Just slightly growing over the skin of the zoas. Just bought some H.Peroxide to do a dip. I bought a 3% solution. I heard to just add it in the tank water with the frag until you see some fizzing aroud the frag.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

JoJosReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not quite sure what I am looking at here
Is the video working?

For in-tank peroxide treatment, I take a baby bottle nipple, cut the tip with a hole just wide enough to insert a pipette, fill the pipette with H2O2, submerge the nipple/pipette into the water keeping the air inside the nipple (important that the pipette goes into the nipple and makes a seal so that the air doesn't escape), lower the nipple onto the affected area (e.g. mat of GHA as in video or in your case zoas), then slowly drop H2O2 onto the affected area that is now exposed to air and thus giving a concentrated dose of peroxide. I then leave the nipple in place for a minute so that the H2O2 can start killing the algae.

For zoas, I would bother them a bit first to make sure they close up before dropping H2O2 on them and I'd be careful about particularly sensitive zoas. Mine tolerate H2O2 pretty well and are only angry for a day after treatment--can also use a 1:1 solution of RODI to 3% H2O2 to be more careful. Know your zoas. I have some that are way more sensitive than others. Hope that helps!

OP
OP
SauceyReef

SauceyReef

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the video working?

For in-tank peroxide treatment, I take a baby bottle nipple, cut the tip with a hole just wide enough to insert a pipette, fill the pipette with H2O2, submerge the nipple/pipette into the water keeping the air inside the nipple (important that the pipette goes into the nipple and makes a seal so that the air doesn't escape), lower the nipple onto the affected area (e.g. mat of GHA as in video or in your case zoas), then slowly drop H2O2 onto the affected area that is now exposed to air and thus giving a concentrated dose of peroxide. I then leave the nipple in place for a minute so that the H2O2 can start killing the algae.

For zoas, I would bother them a bit first to make sure they close up before dropping H2O2 on them and I'd be careful about particularly sensitive zoas. Mine tolerate H2O2 pretty well and are only angry for a day after treatment--can also use a 1:1 solution of RODI to 3% H2O2 to be more careful. Know your zoas. I have some that are way more sensitive than others. Hope that helps!
The video was working. I see what you are doing now! Cool device.

I will be doing this to GMKs, Utter Chaos, and Frankies Acid trips. I was going to do the 1:1 solution, or better yet just drip some into a container with the frag and water until I see some fizzing around the frag. I know these are all quite sensitive zoas, so I would rather be extra careful.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Subscribe to ReefStache so you don't miss out!
Back