Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added an open brain coral to my tank the other day a few inches away from a rock with some zoas. They are decently close but not touching. Today there are a few zoa types that are stretching straight up and only half open. Others are open but not as big as normal. A few other types are perfectly normal. Are they just adjusting to the new coral in the tank? (20g tank) could there be some chemical warfare going on? None are fully closed, they just look a little less happy than normal.

BRS

blaxsun

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be coral warfare (it's often chemical and invisible). Zoas are fairly resilient, so I'd just give it a few more days to see if they return to normal. If not and moving the brain is an option, you may want to give the zoas some more breathing room.

sixty_reefer

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Added an open brain coral to my tank the other day a few inches away from a rock with some zoas. They are decently close but not touching. Today there are a few zoa types that are stretching straight up and only half open. Others are open but not as big as normal. A few other types are perfectly normal. Are they just adjusting to the new coral in the tank? (20g tank) could there be some chemical warfare going on? None are fully closed, they just look a little less happy than normal.
Most likely just a coincidence, both corals do well in proximity

Avast
OP
OP
katsreef

katsreef

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could be coral warfare (it's often chemical and invisible). Zoas are fairly resilient, so I'd just give it a few more days to see if they return to normal. If not and moving the brain is an option, you may want to give the zoas some more breathing room.
It’s a bit of a tight space but I’ll keep an eye on it and see if it gets worse!

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back