+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,
I need some help. I have a cluster of zoas which have not opened for some time now. They are still growing new heads so I don’t think it’s parameters. Could it be this stringy stuff? Or what looks like coralline growing next to it? I can’t seem to figure out why they haven’t been flowering.
88D532A3-34C3-4A99-9B40-3AE6F48082ED.jpeg
7DB598A2-72FE-4254-9CE1-B780349A9F43.jpeg

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the algae may be irritating the zoas. Polyps still look healthy though! I would take a toothbrush, soak it in hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), then gently brush the polyps to remove any residue or algae. You may see the zoas develop a white slime after doing this, don’t panic! It’s just them shedding and growing a new slime coat due to the H2O2 damaging it. They should open up in a week or less after this treatment.

sometimes some of my zoas close up for days, put out many new heads, then open up like nothing was ever wrong. In any case, the H2O2 treatment won’t hurt and the algae is good to get rid of anyway.

Good luck! Happy reefing!

BRS
OP
OP
Goku333

Goku333

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like the algae may be irritating the zoas. Polyps still look healthy though! I would take a toothbrush, soak it in hydrogen peroxide (H2O2), then gently brush the polyps to remove any residue or algae. You may see the zoas develop a white slime after doing this, don’t panic! It’s just them shedding and growing a new slime coat due to the H2O2 damaging it. They should open up in a week or less after this treatment.

sometimes some of my zoas close up for days, put out many new heads, then open up like nothing was ever wrong. In any case, the H2O2 treatment won’t hurt and the algae is good to get rid of anyway.

Good luck! Happy reefing!
Thanks so much! I will do that treatment. I shouldn’t worry about the coralline? I hope it doesn’t overtake them.

footgal

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks so much! I will do that treatment. I shouldn’t worry about the coralline? I hope it doesn’t overtake them.
Coralline is unlikely to overtake them. It is generally considered beneficial since it is a relatively slow growing algae that keeps other (not so pretty or rapidly reproducing) algaes from growing on your rocks. The only bad thing about coralline is that it’s a calcifying algae so it can be kinda hard to get off your glass but a simple razor takes care of it. The zoas have a sting that should kill off any coralline that tried to overtake them easily

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

https://www.triton.de/en/
Back