Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if this stuff is bad for the Zoa and if I should remove it? It is spongy, when pushed the zoa closes back up into it. The zoa has always had it since it was a baby frag.

image.jpg

World Wide Corals

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does anyone know if this stuff is bad for the Zoa and if I should remove it? It is spongy, when pushed the zoa closes back up into it. The zoa has always had it since it was a baby frag.

View attachment 3096645
I think that's a sponge - if you look closely you can see a few of the oscula (exhalant/outcurrent siphons) of the sponge sticking up.

OP, unless the sponge starts active smothering the zoas, it's a harmless filter feeder. A lot of sponges will grow right up to and around a coral like that without causing any problems, so as long as the zoas keep opening and the sponge doesn't grow over their heads, they'll be fine.

Personally, I think it's a neat hitchhiker to have.

World Wide Corals

Bucs20fan

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also think its a really cool sponge. Id keep it personally as sponges naturally grow on bases of corals and polyps will be just fine. if it really is bothering you. Take the zoas out of the tank for 2 minutes, just exposed to air, no dip no anything else. This will kill the sponge.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Back