Yet another fluval 13.5

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here’s my intro into the hobby. I started off a few weeks ago with the fluval evo 13.5, some dry rock and carbsea live sand. After cycling I’ve began to add the inhabitants.

Livestock:
Yellow watchman goby
Longfin clown pair
Target dragonet
Cleaner shrimp
Orange mushroom
Unknown brain coral
Rasta Zoa
Unknown paly

I have a custom lid, 1st chamber filter basket, full refuge in chamber 2 with a grow light. Return pump and heater in chamber 3. It’s being lit by a ai prime and I also have a Nero 3 in there.

I know it’s been done 1000 times but I wanted to share and also have a page to keep track of my progress.

IMG_8811.jpeg IMG_8813.jpeg 74025406347__948D8E1E-B2FE-46F3-8CE7-997A81D15139.jpeg IMG_8833.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How do you like the Axis 20 vs. the stock pump?
So far I love it. I didn’t necessarily buy it because there way anything wrong with the stock pump. I had zero issues with that one. I just like the ability to control it from my phone. I have the ai prime and a Nero 3 so it’s nice to have control of all of them in one spot.

BristolEVO

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So far I love it. I didn’t necessarily buy it because there way anything wrong with the stock pump. I had zero issues with that one. I just like the ability to control it from my phone. I have the ai prime and a Nero 3 so it’s nice to have control of all of them in one spot.
That's my plan too, and to use one app for everything. Starting my tank today or tomorrow! I'll use the stock pump in the salt mixing bucket.

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's my plan too, and to use one app for everything. Starting my tank today or tomorrow! I'll use the stock pump in the salt mixing bucket.

Only having one app Is a huge benefit and makes things a lot easier. Just looked at your build and we pretty much have the exact same setup going. Best of luck!

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got some acros and what I believe is an Alvie? Correct me if I’m wrong. But they all came out this morning and look amazing!

Attachments

• IMG_8861.jpeg
    IMG_8861.jpeg
    234.1 KB · Views: 94
  • IMG_8860.jpeg
    IMG_8860.jpeg
    243.3 KB · Views: 66

Dr.Drew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in the process of getting my Fluval 13.5 set up. It'll be my first reef tank. Do you plan on switching out any of the filter media or just leaving the carbon and biomedia that it came with? I considered getting a different caddy and doing a 4 stage stack/setup, but not sure if its worth it.

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm also in the process of getting my Fluval 13.5 set up. It'll be my first reef tank. Do you plan on switching out any of the filter media or just leaving the carbon and biomedia that it came with? I considered getting a different caddy and doing a 4 stage stack/setup, but not sure if its worth it.
So this is also my first tank so take what I say with a grain of salt.

But I switched out the first chamber for a intank basket and have nothing in the top (used to run floss but I feel like it traps pods and i definitely don’t want that, also have seen zero difference since taking it out) second spot is full of marine pure gems. And chemipure blue in the bottom. In chamber 2 I have a 3D printed basket that’s filled with chaeto and a hygger submerged grow light that runs opposite to my tank light.

Overall it seems to be doing fantastic

Dr.Drew

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is also my first tank so take what I say with a grain of salt.

But I switched out the first chamber for a intank basket and have nothing in the top (used to run floss but I feel like it traps pods and i definitely don’t want that, also have seen zero difference since taking it out) second spot is full of marine pure gems. And chemipure blue in the bottom. In chamber 2 I have a 3D printed basket that’s filled with chaeto and a hygger submerged grow light that runs opposite to my tank light.

Overall it seems to be doing fantastic
I honestly didn't even think of 3D printing my own basket! I have an IOAOI nano skimmer in my first chamber. That's also super clever to retrofit a refugium into the second chamber! This is giving me lots of ideas

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I honestly didn't even think of 3D printing my own basket! I have an IOAOI nano skimmer in my first chamber. That's also super clever to retrofit a refugium into the second chamber! This is giving me lots of ideas
Just make sure you get food grade filament!!

slogan315

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
IM spin stream installed. Is there any reason people chose the 3D printed rfg over these?
IMG_8876.jpeg
I haven’t personally used them but have a RFG on my 13.5. I believe the spin streams reduce flow, but since you have an upgraded return pump, it shouldn’t matter. Some also say they’re noisy. Last thing is in general, moving parts require more maintenance than non moving. So your spin stream may require frequent cleaning to continue spinning freely as coralline and other gunk gets in there.

OP
OP
Shnetts

Shnetts

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heres a complete updated list of everything going on with my tank since I have not updated in awhile

Tank Details:
  • Fluval Evo 13.5
  • AI Prime 16HD
  • AI Axis 20
  • AI Nero 3
  • Hygger Heater
  • ReefBreaders ATO

Filtration:
  • InTank basket in chamber 1 with floss, marinepure gems and chimipure blue
  • Chamber 2 chaeto fuge with hygger submersible fuge light
  • Chamber 3 heater and return pump
Fish:
  • Longfin nearly naked clown and nearly naked mocha clown pair
  • Six line wrasse
  • Target dragonet
  • Skunk cleaner shrimp
CUC:
  • 3 Astrea snails
  • 3 Red leg hermits
Corals:
  • Unknown Brain Coral
  • 3x Alvies
  • 4x Blastos
  • 2x Duncans
  • 3x Acans
  • 4x Hammers
  • Blue Sympodium
  • Firework Cloves
  • 3x Shrooms
  • Candy Cane
  • 10+ Diffrent Zoas
  • 2x Button Scollys
Deaths:
  • 1 Button Scolly
  • YWG (Could very much still be alive just have not seen him in about a month)
I have it sitting on a custom stand I built myself, Its just a frame of 2x4 to support the weight and OSB panels. Yes I chose that on purpose I like how it looks lol.

I've been doing weekly 2 gallon water changes and it has been working well for me. Its still a pretty new tank and my parameters have not evened out yet but they are all in a safe healthy range. I test just about everything weekly

Avg. Values:
  • Nitrate 8-12
  • Phosphate 0.05-0.15
  • Salinity 1.025
  • Alk 7.5-8
  • Mag 1250-1300
  • Calcium 400-500
  • pH 8
  • Ammonia 0
There defiantly not perfect but i'm hoping they start to even out to a more steady value and then i can figure out a dosing amount if needed. Right now I don't do any dosing except for RedSea AB+ for 1mL daily.

Last edited:

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back