Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
This is something I've noticed more and more lately. I'm wondering if this is happening with captive bred yellow tangs? I don't recall ever seeing this prior to the Hawaii ban and subsequently, since captive breeding became more abundant. I'm not saying there is definitely a correlation, but I think it may warrant further investigation given how much more prevalent it is now than it was prior to captive breeding.

Last edited:

DIYreefer

Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I do run a small amount of BRS ROX carbon....and have done so for years...all other fish ok...maybe the yellows are just more susceptible?? thanks for the imput
In my experience yellows aren't any more prone to HLLE than anything else. Additionally, I could be mistaken but I believe the general consensus is that HLLE happens more often when carbon isn't rinsed well before being added to the system. That stated, ROX has very little dust in relation to other brands of AC.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is something I've noticed more and more lately. I'm wondering if this is happening with captive bred yellow tangs? I don't recall ever seeing this prior to the Hawaii ban and subsequently, since captive breeding became more abundant. I'm not saying there is definitely a correlation, but I think it may warrant further investigation given how much more prevalent it is now than it was prior to captive breeding.

I've seen this in YT over the years, it is how this species shows HLLE. I have seen a similar syndrome in captive raised YT, we call it "epithelial thinning":

Jay

Corals.com

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
UNLEASH THE FULL POTENTIAL OF YOUR REEF
Back