Yellow eye tang extremely skinny, rapid breathing and lethargic.

reefpunk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I got a yellow eye kole tang that went through a full QT treatment back in late December. The tang was always skinny and for the first month it started eating more and more. I left on vacation for two weeks and just got back. My yellow tang is even skinnier then before I left, extremely skinny almost paper thin and now longer is swimming. The tang just hides in a cave and is rapid breathing. I found out why this happened and it’s because my convict tang bullied the crap outta it. The convict tang has been moved to the sump.

I tried snapping a picture but it’s too dark in the cave to really see how skinny it is. This is so unfortunate as this is a fish I’ve been after for so long.

is my tang going to die? because that’s the feeling I’m getting.

advice appreciated.

1138DB34-C51E-48EA-8C12-5C8E27D76ABF.jpeg

Nutramar Foods

Cell

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cannot get it to eat, then it will perish. It may already be too late. Was it fed at all when you were on vacation? A better pic would help assess its current condition.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you cannot get it to eat, then it will perish. It may already be too late. Was it fed at all when you were on vacation? A better pic would help assess its current condition.
I’m aware my fish will die if it doesn’t eat but what I’m looking for if there’s anything I can do to entice a feeding response? My tank sitter claims all fish were eating but judging by the behaviour of my other tangs it seems food wasn’t plentiful as they got protective over the food that was fed. This is what I noticed when I got back anyway.

I can’t take any other pictures unless it swims out and for the last 2-3 days it hasn’t left that spot(where it is in the picture I posted)

like you said it might just be already too late.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
hello everyone and thank you for taking the time to read this.

I got a yellow eye kole tang that went through a full QT treatment back in late December. The tang was always skinny and for the first month it started eating more and more. I left on vacation for two weeks and just got back. My yellow tang is even skinnier then before I left, extremely skinny almost paper thin and now longer is swimming. The tang just hides in a cave and is rapid breathing. I found out why this happened and it’s because my convict tang bullied the crap outta it. The convict tang has been moved to the sump.

I tried snapping a picture but it’s too dark in the cave to really see how skinny it is. This is so unfortunate as this is a fish I’ve been after for so long.

is my tang going to die? because that’s the feeling I’m getting.

advice appreciated.

View attachment 3025917
It is hard to assess a fish in a dark area. You can post a video under white lighting by setting your cell phone on video mode for about 4 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. The fish should come out then.
how is fish breathing rate- Normal or labored?
Is fish currently eating? If so, what foods are you offering? (this is NOT a flake and pellet feeder)

Enticers are Live foods such as brine shrimp, baby guppies IF refusing food

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is hard to assess a fish in a dark area. You can post a video under white lighting by setting your cell phone on video mode for about 4 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. The fish should come out then.
how is fish breathing rate- Normal or labored?
Is fish currently eating? If so, what foods are you offering? (this is NOT a flake and pellet feeder)

Enticers are Live foods such as brine shrimp, baby guppies IF refusing food
I would but the fish really doesn’t come out from under the rock. But I will try to get a video. The fish is breathing quicker than normal. Fish hasn’t eaten in what I’m assuming a few weeks now considering how skinny it is. I’m mainly trying to feed mysis a few times a day to see if it’ll go for it but no luck. I also have nori clipped around 4 different spots in the tank.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was able to take another picture of the fish. You can see how skinny it is in this photo. Sorry for the darker picture but I’m hoping you can see how skinny it is. I’m just wondering if it’s too late to save?

Attachments

• BD718294-F183-431C-B64B-482B5406D8C2.jpeg
    BD718294-F183-431C-B64B-482B5406D8C2.jpeg
    152 KB · Views: 27

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I would but the fish really doesn’t come out from under the rock. But I will try to get a video. The fish is breathing quicker than normal. Fish hasn’t eaten in what I’m assuming a few weeks now considering how skinny it is. I’m mainly trying to feed mysis a few times a day to see if it’ll go for it but no luck. I also have nori clipped around 4 different spots in the tank.
Mysis is accepted but brine would be more effective as an enticer. Some things to look at why a fish shuts down with diet:
Internal parasite
Flukes
Water quality issue (nitrate-ammonia-salinity-ph)
Low dissolved oxygen - again water related
Bullying by another tank mate
Lights too bright
Stray voltage

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mysis is accepted but brine would be more effective as an enticer. Some things to look at why a fish shuts down with diet:
Internal parasite
Flukes
Water quality issue (nitrate-ammonia-salinity-ph)
Low dissolved oxygen - again water related
Bullying by another tank mate
Lights too bright
Stray voltage
Well I’ve figured out it was due to aggression. My convict tang was being aggressive with the yellow eye and was not letting it eat and whenever it did try the convict would attack. I then moved my convict into the sump hoping that would help but it’s been a few days now and the yellow eye is still not eating. The fish was treated with prazi and metro. No ammonia or anything in my tank and my nitrates are at 20. All other fish are fine, eating, full colour, not gasping for air etc.

i will go out to the store tomorrow and buy brine shrimp and try that.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Well I’ve figured out it was due to aggression. My convict tang was being aggressive with the yellow eye and was not letting it eat and whenever it did try the convict would attack. I then moved my convict into the sump hoping that would help but it’s been a few days now and the yellow eye is still not eating. The fish was treated with prazi and metro. No ammonia or anything in my tank and my nitrates are at 20. All other fish are fine, eating, full colour, not gasping for air etc.

i will go out to the store tomorrow and buy brine shrimp and try that.
I had a sneaky feeling aggression. It may be very intimidated/traumatized. Im surprised on convict as mine is very docile

OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a sneaky feeling aggression. It may be very intimidated/traumatized. Im surprised on convict as mine is very docile
This is why I got one in the first place as I wanted to minimize tang aggression. I was able to capture a short video. It’s not in bright lights as every time I try to turn the lights on his scoots back into the cave. I’m hoping you can see how skinny it is in the video and if it’s maybe time to euthanize? It’s also hard to tell but his cheeks are sunken as well.

Attachments

• IMG_4404.MOV
    39.7 MB

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
This is why I got one in the first place as I wanted to minimize tang aggression. I was able to capture a short video. It’s not in bright lights as every time I try to turn the lights on his scoots back into the cave. I’m hoping you can see how skinny it is in the video and if it’s maybe time to euthanize? It’s also hard to tell but his cheeks are sunken as well.
Video works. I pictured thinner, needing a couple of beers and Past but putting jokes to the side. Continue low/lower light and try to get live brine. An acclimation box may be an option if it does not come around. Speaking of intimidation, these guys can be bashful and perhaps try setting your cell phone on video mode for about 10 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Come back and review it and see if it is eating when you too are not around.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think my fish is on its way out. It tried swimming and just falls over. I have someone bringing me live brine but I’m not sure if I have enough time.

Attachments

• IMG_4405.MOV
    2.9 MB
OP
OP
R

reefpunk

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Video works. I pictured thinner, needing a couple of beers and Past but putting jokes to the side. Continue low/lower light and try to get live brine. An acclimation box may be an option if it does not come around. Speaking of intimidation, these guys can be bashful and perhaps try setting your cell phone on video mode for about 10 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Come back and review it and see if it is eating when you too are not around.
Finally got good pictures.

Attachments

• B8D712E7-E3E2-49DB-A7DE-7E6D6A1C6697.jpeg
    B8D712E7-E3E2-49DB-A7DE-7E6D6A1C6697.jpeg
    126.3 KB · Views: 18
  • 4A69184B-1A24-4494-9233-9FDFBCBC7598.jpeg
    4A69184B-1A24-4494-9233-9FDFBCBC7598.jpeg
    130.6 KB · Views: 18
  • 32221F86-5E50-4EE6-978D-BE3422131E91.jpeg
    32221F86-5E50-4EE6-978D-BE3422131E91.jpeg
    124.6 KB · Views: 17

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Finally got good pictures.
yes a little thin but Ive seen worse and do see the fins better from aggression.
Assure elevated ammonia and nitrate are not playing a role

AquaCave Logo Banner

vetteguy53081

Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Fish died sometime through the night. Unfortunate!
Sorry to hear. Now to decide if convict tang is a keeper or compatible with any future tang introductions

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Visit Detroit Reef Club
Back