Wrassess Get Too Much Attention....Anthias Lovers Thread!

Nutramar

JDowns

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll start it off.

Love my blotches!

Blotchies.jpg

Top Shelf Aquatics
www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

mattzang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the guy at the LFS told me anthias were girly fish since they're varieties of pink/yellow/red/orange ;Playful;Happy:)

idk, but i love my lyretail, even when she's being a ****** to the other fish. nobody loves to eat more than that fish

Bigfish of La.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wrasse too, but now I’m on th anthias band wagon. I currently have a Bartlett and want to add others, and also have flasher wrasse and need to know what type do you suggest and male or female? I have an 80g tank

Kmsutows

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I love wrasse too, but now I’m on th anthias band wagon. I currently have a Bartlett and want to add others, and also have flasher wrasse and need to know what type do you suggest and male or female? I have an 80g tank
Are you asking about wrasse or anthias? In either instance I'd recommend female. If I recall correctly all wrasse eventually turn male so it's not the greatest idea to have "pairs". Female anthias being added will allow the natural hierarchy to be maintained so long as they are also smaller than the present male.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Are you asking about wrasse or anthias? In either instance I'd recommend female. If I recall correctly all wrasse eventually turn male so it's not the greatest idea to have "pairs". Female anthias being added will allow the natural hierarchy to be maintained so long as they are also smaller than the present male.

This is very true. The only difference I have seen in my tank is the Blotchies were added last and the larger went male. The male Lyretail and the Blotchie don't even look at each other.

OP
OP
JDowns

JDowns

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Bigfish of La.

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have been more clear, I have 3 flasher wrasse, PJ cardinal, pair of long nose hawkfish, yellowtail damsel, and just added the bartlett last week and would like to know what other anthias I could add. Sounds like I should get the females.
Thanks

Nutramar Foods

Kmsutows

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Kmsutows

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I should have been more clear, I have 3 flasher wrasse, PJ cardinal, pair of long nose hawkfish, yellowtail damsel, and just added the bartlett last week and would like to know what other anthias I could add. Sounds like I should get the females.
Thanks

For an 80g I would not add more bartletts as they will likely pick each other off. But I dont see why you couldnt add a carberryi, ignitus, fathead or disbar. However, I do not have experience with those species personally. I'd just stay away from the larger species like squarebacks or bimacs.

Nutramar Foods

mattzang

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice, hard to tell from the angle but 'she' looks to be changing to a 'he'

I was wondering about that, her streamer seems a little longer than before. she's the only anthias in the tank, I'm hoping she kinda doesn't fully transition, I prefer the orange. if she only goes half dude with long streamers remaining orange, I'd like that!

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back