Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, the variants are genetic variations between different localized populations that cause different phenotypic expressions.

In other words, fish from one area look different than the same fish from another area due to the slight genetic differences between the two different populations.

OrionN

Anemones
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are multiple variance of this “species,” from various region, possibly multiple species all together. Their shape are the same and females looks the same but males are different in marking.
Right now they are lumped together. Maybe will be described as separate species at a later time.

AquaCave Logo Banner

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What is the cebu variance? Genetic mutation? Or location variance?
It’s mostly a genetic variance likely buried deep in the DNA.
Here’s the differences between both variants. There is only two definite variants of Cirrhilabrus lubbocki. The Cebu and the Indonesian form. The Cebu form gets larger much faster but the Indo remains smaller for a longer period of time (They can grow to the size of the Cebu but it generally takes longer).
And yes, there are hybrids between these variants, they can surface quite a bit but recently they’ve become rarer. Generally the common variant of the hybrids have the Indo’s colouring with the Cebu’s purple line.

Whilst I think these guys are different species, there’s definitely similarities between the two that may wind up giving them the rare subspecies title. The most known fish that recently got a subspecies was the Regal Angel which is now Pygopiltes diacanthus flavescens (Yellow Belly) or Pygoplites diacanthus diacanthus (Blue Belly). So if we do see Lubbocki separated into subspecies’ it will be longer names and likely make them more complicated.

Here’s my two mature male Lubbocki’s. I had the Cebu for a few months prior to adding the Indo and they’re now 3 years into the tank and still loving life. Yes I get displays but they’re rarer now and it’s mainly the Naoko who displays with one of the two then that sometimes sets all 3 Fairies off.
Cebu Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (This was the first Lubbocki to be IDed as this name)
91774B3E-7511-4C80-9542-E4BD4A0D0165.jpeg

Indo Cirrhilabrus lubbocki (This is the more popular species but not the original Lubbocki).
E51F107C-940C-4D89-83BE-5F8ADD31F32F.jpeg

Nutramar

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Back