Will a bacterial bloom kill my fish and coral?

BRS

Runnin'Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I just moved my tank from Ohio to South Carolina this past week and it went pretty well. Yesterday my water got really cloudy very similar to when I was cycling my tank so I am assuming a bacterial bloom. My skimmer also broke so that is probably contributing to the build up of nutrients. Will the bloom kill my fish or coral? I put a air stone in the tank to make sure the water was still getting oxygenated. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for trying to fix my skimmer? For the last week it would come on and off intermittently while plugged in. Now when I plug it in nothing happens. Any ideas?

AquaCave Logo Banner

Tired

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Bacterial blooms are typically harmless as long as the water is still oxygenated. Keep an eye on the fish- if they start hovering around the surface, they're having trouble getting enough oxygen.

You might try contacting the skimmer manufacturer and asking them for troubleshooting advice.

ryanjohn1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi guys! I just moved my tank from Ohio to South Carolina this past week and it went pretty well. Yesterday my water got really cloudy very similar to when I was cycling my tank so I am assuming a bacterial bloom. My skimmer also broke so that is probably contributing to the build up of nutrients. Will the bloom kill my fish or coral? I put an air stone in the tank to make sure the water was still getting oxygenated. Also, does anyone have any suggestions for trying to fix my skimmer? For the last week it would come on and off intermittently while plugged in. Now when I plug it in nothing happens. Any ideas?
Has the pump been cleaned properly? Taken apart and really scrubbed.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Has the pump been cleaned properly? Taken apart and really scrubbed.
I took it apart and rinsed it under hot water yesterday, but I think I am going to soak it in some vinegar and warm water to get it cleaned up

ryanjohn1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would makes sure that the impeller is good and clean usually some scaling on them rubber tips and also in the receiving hole end of the pump before I tossed it in the trash pile. What brand skimmer and pump is it?

CLICK TO VIEW
OP
OP
R

Runnin'Reefer

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would makes sure that the impeller is good and clean usually some scaling on them rubber tips and also in the receiving hole end of the pump before I tossed it in the trash pile. What brand skimmer and pump is it?
The pump is a Maxi-Jet 1200 and the skimmer is Aquarium Systems

ryanjohn1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is this what u have?

Attachments

• E5B70D5C-D5B8-453B-BC68-88B664FF1388.png
    E5B70D5C-D5B8-453B-BC68-88B664FF1388.png
    210.5 KB · Views: 7
Nutramar Foods
AquaCave Logo Banner

ryanjohn1

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not super stocked but i was getting a big algae bloom so i started using it. I just got more snails which I only had 2 and they were burrowers so that should help keep the algae down now and maybe i won't need it!
When you do upgrade. Look into the aquamaxx hang on backs. You could get a decent one for around $100 which is what that one goes for new.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Tenecor Aquariums
Back