Why wont my Purple Deaths keep there color?

patedship

unregistered
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am just wondering why my purple deaths will not color back up to the beautiful purple that they once were... after having them for about a month they turned to a brown... I have them in two completely seperate tanks one is covered by a 150w MH about ~20" off the light and the other is about ~22" below 4 39w T-5 2 aquablues and 2blue plus'. I feed them cyclopeeze and a mixture once in a while also.

Corals.com
Corals.com

Ike

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine have turned a lighter purple. Some might say they're faded but the argument could be made that they're brighter. The skirt has also turned a minty green.

Nutramar Foods

Reefwifey

Zoa Black Thumb
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine are brownish red in my tank as well. They came darn near from 'the source' and were brilliant purple...and whats funny is when I trade them out of my tank...once in someone elses they purple up in about 24 hours. They are healthy looking, growing like crazy. I've tried high light, low light. I think it must be something in my water. I've tested for the very basic stuff...perhaps its some more obscure element.

Avast

twon8

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i have mine in a window tank, getting only sunlight and they are very purple. that system is a barebones one; ill put some in my frag tank and see what they look like.

World Wide Corals

Azurel

Morpharian Maffia Hitman
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Creetin, elevated nutrients. I have had many frags in all types of lighting and none have faded cause of low light or to much light....They have always stayed deep Purple.

MarvinsReef

Clownfish Aficionado
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with Creetin, elevated nutrients. I have had many frags in all types of lighting and none have faded cause of low light or to much light....They have always stayed deep Purple.

I can attest to this coz the ones I got from Azurel are more purple than mine... now, the same ones are not as purple... I'm guessing it's because I don't have a skimmer hence the higher nutrients in the tank...

OP
OP
patedship

patedship

unregistered
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I dont know about the elevated nutrients.. I have a EuroReef skimmer on my 70gallon. If anything it is "overskimmed" I also have a 10 gallon refugium. But also like I said, I have them in two different tanks and they look the exact same in both. So what would you advise me to do to reduce the elevated nutrients.

Top Shelf Aquatics

sr71

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PD are also brown that was the color when I received it but the babies are purple (hopefully they stay purple). I also run my skimmer 24/7 and I don't think it's the nutrients. Would feeding them more often help?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Ike

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My PD are also brown that was the color when I received it but the babies are purple (hopefully they stay purple). I also run my skimmer 24/7 and I don't think it's the nutrients. Would feeding them more often help?

I'd say if your babies are purple they'll probably turn into purple adults.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Extreme Corals
Back