Why does pH increase with Kalk take time to stabilize?

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When restarting nightly Kalkwasser dosing, why does it take a week or more for average pH to stabilize at the higher value? What is happening chemically that takes a week+? See chart below.

IMG_3622.jpeg

I have seen this trend before, and I don’t understand why this happens. I’m curious and would like an explanation if someone can educate me.

Here is the story behind the chart…
I turned off my nightly kalk dosing and my average pH went down over several days/nights. I expected this. There were other things happening like water changes so I didn’t monitor the trend.

At the beginning of the chart above, I restarted Kalkwasser at 1/2 my maintenance dose (alkalinity demand). The reason for the lower dose is I found my alkalinity much higher than my target so I was allowing it to drift down to my target.

My alkalinity is falling a little every day, but with Kalk added each night the average pH trends up over time. I know from past experience it will level out and the day/night swing will become fairly consistent. The average pH will level out little under 8.2. My tank is aerated with outside air so windows open/closed have less effect on pH.

What is happening in the water that takes time to reach the new average?

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do you know if the amount dosed is unchanged in this period? Or is it matched to alk demand and may increase as demand increases due to the pH increase?
The amount of kalk dosed is constant each night during this period.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I expect that it is slowly depleting the more acidic compounds, such as bicarbonate, and converting them to basic versions such as carbonate. It just takes time to reach a new equilibrium between CO2 consumption and CO2 addition. :)

OP
OP
R

rishma

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok! Thank you. It surprises me that the timeframe is so long in a small circulating closed system.

But honestly it still surprises me how much swing happens between day and night even with aeration. PH is fascinating.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

Back