Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about this today as I was reading through some posts. Some of us have a lot of flexibility time wise, some finance wise, some have neither. It doesn't matter, we all love it. We all spend far more time and money on our tanks than the average person would ever guess.

Why do you do it?

CLICK TO VIEW

Rusty_L_Shackleford

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I NEED to. Iv been in the hobby since i was 12. Im 37 now. I was out for 8 years because i moved to hawaii to study marine bio and aquaculture. Reefs are very much a way of life for me. Fortunately i have a very understanding wife who bought me a tank for my birthday when we moved. She has the bug now to and we just got a second tank.

Orphek OR3 reef aquarium LED bar

Rugops

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s what all the cool kids are doing.
*special
lol
The family literally calls me "The Nerd". I did a reef tank because I can't have a larger tank for a FOWLR. I had stuff lying around from when I did freshwater so I just updated my tank to salt (my wallet needed an update too). My family doesn't even know how much I've spent $1300

kbnh

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My dad had one when I was a kid, it was too much maintenance for him then but it sparked my want for one. Now it brings me some peace and tranquility after a long day and my daughter loves looking at the tank and trying to say “fishy!” Which will make my worst day instantly better

GatorGreg

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s actually a good question. Ever since I was a child I’ve been drawn to keeping some sort of critters in a glass box for viewing purposes.

My parents brought me to an aquarium one time on vacation when I was about 15 and there was a proper reef tank (probably a 75g) off to the side not like their big huge systems. I had to be dragged away from it lol. Later that year they bought me a jbj nano cube and some sand and live rock. We slowly stocked it and it was very successful. They ended up taking it down after I moved out. I didn’t regain the passion for it until later on in life. After bringing my children to an aquarium and being blown away by another well set up proper reef tank. I guess it came full circle. It’s very relaxing for me. Almost like therapeutic like people keeping their plants or a garden.

Nutramar Foods

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
I was thinking about this today as I was reading through some posts. Some of us have a lot of flexibility time wise, some finance wise, some have neither. It doesn't matter, we all love it. We all spend far more time and money on our tanks than the average person would ever guess.

Why do you do it?
Love of the ocean
Color
Aquatic life

iamacat

Higher than my pH
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t think I have ever considered not having one since starting one in 2010. It was a challenge that was constantly making me more and more intrigued.

it’s by far the most fascinating thing in my home and I love to watch it. All the way down to the finest details it is rich with life

*of course I have screamed and threatened tearing down*

Nutramar Foods

Megaloptera

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because it's my job, well, I made it my job. I work at an environmental center and wrote a grant to create a beach lesson. We renovated a classroom into our beach classroom. We have 4 tanks built into the walls featuring different aquatic habitats in FL. One is the "FL Keys Reef Tank" So now I get to reef while on the clock. Admittedly, I spend more time in that room than I probably should.

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Zoanthids.com
Back