Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wake up. Go to the tank watch it wake up, then admire and maybe putter about fir a bit(well, more than a bit) . Maybe a total of 2-3 hrs a day on average. I work evening shift so i have some extra time in the mornings.

AquaCave Logo Banner

Buckster

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Many hours between the water changes, feeding, cleaning algae off the glass, filter cleaning etc. Time spent worrying and observing the just added mandarin pair to the 180. Time on R2R! How do I have time for anything else? but I do!

World Wide Corals

Joe.D

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m about a year in and it’s more time than I was lead to believe (“it’s not that much more work than freshwater”). That said, I’m loving it - except when dealing with bubble algae infestations (I think I’m clear now) or jumping fish (despite my efforts at containment while cleaning - yes I have a lid on the tank).

Actually working on tank - probably 2 hours per week. Thinking about it and researching - several more hours per week. Probably another 10 hrs.

J&K Reefers

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just curious, I've been in the hobby almost three months and I am shocked how willing I am to dump hours of time into this fish tank. Despite all the hiccups, (Ba da ba ba ba!) I'm lovin it! What's surprising to me is not the amount of time I spend doing water changes and scraping glass, but the time spent researching topics, watching YouTube videos, diagnosing problems, shopping for livestock, etc. Its just always on my mind. Maybe its just a bit of a honeymoon phase, so I'd love to hear from you all, how much time do you spend doing actual work on the tank, and how much do you spending thinking about it, researching things, online reading about reefing, etc...
For me it’s a labor of love. I too am constantly trying to learn and watch videos like it’s my job. I have recently (bought a tank in August of last year) gotten back into the hobby. My wife found pictures from 20 years ago when I first got into the hobby and I am more immersed in it now than ever. I currently have 2 tanks up and running (170 and 120) and am currently working on a 300 gallon new tank build. Couldn’t say how much time I spend, but it is significant.

Paul B

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spend very little time daily on my tank. Just the time it takes to dump in a little frozen food and run the magnet scraper over the glass. Of course if I am changing water, something I do maybe 4 times a year, it takes a couple of hours because I collect my water in the ocean.

And also, if something breaks, I need to either build another part or (rarely) buy something.

AquaCave Logo Banner
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
World Wide Corals
Back