Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Little back story- I started in this hobby with a 5 gallon tall eclipse aio and had so much success with it I decided to upgrade. I wish I hadn't. That was about 10 years ago. Long story short my system crashed. Now I've recently (last june) switched to the jbj rimless 10g, stock pump. Currently running chemipure blue, Ai prime light, no skimmer although I bought the nano evo13 one but am not happy with it. There is about 8lbs or so of live rock, a clownfish, firefish, pistol shrimp, emerald crab and skunk cleaner. Oh and a small margarita snail. I am planning on setting up an ato, but currently add ro/di (ro buddy for at home use which is brand new) with every day to every other day to top off. Sg stays steady at 1.025, and my other levels are: nitrate: 40ppm (I just did a large water change so I have to retest but I ran out of them); nitrite and ammonia 0ppm, ph is a touch low at 8 and alk is also low at 2 meq/L, calcium is 400ppm. Temp is kept at 78. I also feed using Vitality platinum marine pellets every other day. I do not have a phosphate test kit yet. My inverts and fish are all happy but every time I acclimate a soft coral to the tank it dies. Red mushroom, zoas, I did have a small torch at one point who was doing well at first but then I had to trade it In before it died too. I am at my wits end. I do not know what could be causing this issue other than high nitrates which I am working to bring down. Picture of the tank for reference. Any thoughts anyone can chime in with I would greatly appreciate as I really want to keep some softies but this is so frustrating. Picture with all the corals is my old 5g.

IMG_20220127_190909_899.jpg IMG_20200131_181953_492.jpg

Nutramar Foods
Top Shelf Aquatics

Bribo12

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No alk shouldn’t be at 11. Alk is very low at 2 meq/L or 5.6 dkh. I’d definitely get that up to 7-8 dkh (4 meq/L) A phosphate kit will help eliminate low or high phosphates as an issue. I’m wondering if you have a severe N/P imbalance (HighN/Low P). Could definitely lead to softies tanking. I’d potentially send off an ICP test as well to verify nothing out of the ordinary.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
Jenny_rs

Jenny_rs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No alk shouldn’t be at 11. Alk is very low at 2 meq/L or 5.6 dkh. I’d definitely get that up to 7-8 dkh (4 meq/L) A phosphate kit will help eliminate low or high phosphates as an issue. I’m wondering if you have a severe N/P imbalance (HighN/Low P). Could definitely lead to softies tanking. I’d potentially send off an ICP test as well to verify nothing out of the ordinary.
I can take a sample to get tested at my lfs but is there a way to increase this at home?

PokeFish

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
oh mines at 11 lol

Nutramar Foods
Nutramar Foods

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here's a calculator

Never increase alk by more than 1dkh per day. Account for displacement of rocks and sand when inputting gallongs

Avast

Reef and Dive

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My test kit says that it should be 4 to 6 meq/L and I measured 2 meq/L
2meq/L = 5.6 dkh that’s pretty low
Very small systems are harder to keep but far from impossible. Big frequent (weekly, 50% solves most issues).
Check if you have enough flow, most corals need it.
Also check if you have minimum light, those corals are not demanding but they need some.

Top Shelf Aquatics
OP
OP
Jenny_rs

Jenny_rs

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2meq/L = 5.6 dkh that’s pretty low
Very small systems are harder to keep but far from impossible. Big frequent (weekly, 50% solves most issues).
Check if you have enough flow, most corals need it.
Also check if you have minimum light, those corals are not demanding but they need some.
Thank you, my ai prime is set to around 30% for all colors except red and green. I usually have it at 50 to 60% but lowered the lights to acclimate the toadstool I got. I will be dosing some baking soda soon following instructions closely

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

BSA
Back