Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many, many perfectly suitable probes, and the best ones are very expensive and overkill for a reef tank. Ross type probes, for example. Great but very expensive.

I discuss what to look for in a probe here;

Selection of Combination pH Electrodes​

There are hundreds of different types and styles of pH electrodes. These vary in size, composition (glass or plastic sides, typically), shape, the nature of the glass membrane (even non-glass materials can be used), how that membrane is separated from the internal filling solution, (that is, single vs. double junction), whether the internal fluids are sealed or refillable, and a variety of other issues.

For most reef aquarists, the exact nature of the pH electrode doesn’t much matter. Nearly all can give suitable pH readings. Here is my opinion about what is most important to look for:

1. Selecting an epoxy body electrode instead of a glass body electrode will make it less likely that you will break it by accident. The glass bulb on the tip is still very fragile (I’ve broken many), but the bulb can be protected by a plastic shield to reduce the chance of breakage.
  2. If you intend on measuring pH directly in the aquarium or sump (rather than in a cup of water removed from the aquarium), then expect to occasionally get the whole electrode wet (by accident). If it is a refillable type which has a hole for adding more filling solution (usually KCl), then you might get aquarium water into the electrode. That can severely degrade performance by messing up the reference electrode. So selecting a sealed electrode may be a better choice.
  3. Some folks argue that a double junction electrode is preferable, and that is likely true. Without going into the design details, a double junction electrode makes it much less likely that there will be any exchange of ions between the aquarium and the filling solution through the glass bulb. This option may be especially important if you are using an internal reference electrode other than Ag/AgCl. For example, if it is a calomel reference electrode, it contains mercury. It is desirable to keep mercury salts out of the aquarium due to its toxicity, so a double junction is likely preferable in that case. Likewise, it is desirable to keep sodium and other seawater ions from entering the reference electrode, and a double junction prevents that to a much greater extent than a single junction. That aspect is more important if you leave the electrode in the aquarium water than if you put in into a storage solution after every use. In general, it is likely better to have a double junction
    than a single junction, but it may not result in appreciably better measurements.
  4. There are other attributes of certain electrodes that may make them more useful in laboratories, and hence justify prices that easily range to more than $350 for the electrode alone. There is not likely any significant advantage in using such electrodes for reef aquaria, however. Do not be worried about claims that you need a special electrode for high pH or high sodium environments. That is true for the most accurate measurements at high pH and high salinity, but aquarium water will be OK with a standard electrode, and even brief measurements at high pH (like limewater) will be fine.
An electrode that I have been using for the past few years is sold by Cole Parmer. It is catalog number U-59001-70. It has an epoxy body, is sealed, and has a double junction. I’m not certain what type of reference electrode it contains, but I believe it to be Ag/AgCl. Its list price is $60.
Shows up at $110 or maybe I overlooked something

Corals.com

scardall

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm not sure what he means, but this is how to do it:

very interesting on the how to here. I agree with you on what does that guy means. For me the how to is impractical for the hobbyist. Still a nice to know, if one does not have an alk. test kit. kept the link for myself.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
E

elcapitan1993

Review score
+2 /0 /-1
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+2 /0 /-1
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm not sure what he means, but this is how to do it:

I have a machine that titrates the ph to figure out how much alkalinity is in the water, you need a ph probe to do it, well the thing I have used a ph probe to do it

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use pinpoint or apera brand, double junction probes. The higher price that brs & neptune charges for the same stuff is crazy.

I’ve had 4 Pin Points and started out with them. They drift too much and don’t calibrate well.

Try Milwaukee. They are much better, calibrate very well, and are accurate. They also have 30 years in the game!

AquaCave Logo Banner

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ll give my personal opinion since we all have one. This is only my opinion and my experience with Pinpoint and Milwaukee. I threw all my pin points in the garbage. I started out with them because of the name and after wasting money on 4 different units I finally trashed them all. They drift too much and don’t calibrate well.

Milwaukee is a much better unit. They calibrate very well and don’t drift much. They’re also affordable. Milwaukee has been in the game for 30 years. Once you buy one and calibrate it you’ll understand especially if you had pinpoints previously.

They are so stable that I’ve even been able to setup my calcium reactor when the system was only 2 months old. My buddy bought two units as well and he loves them too. Several other reefers I know have purchased the newer units. I can’t tell that anything has changed, but just the paint job. Even the pH probe that comes with them is pretty decent, but I do prefer a higher end double junction lab grade probe. In the past I had decent luck with the $89 Apex DJLG probes.

2EF5A60E-1ABB-4F20-8913-5ED200B2EEDE.jpeg

My friend’s and we compare almost daily. Great units:

D5C00256-59B9-4032-8455-E1FDA169ECBA.jpeg

Lbrdsoxfan

2500 Club Member
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+1 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had 4 Pin Points and started out with them. They drift too much and don’t calibrate well.

Try Milwaukee. They are much better, calibrate very well, and are accurate. They also have 30 years in the game!
As I said in another post, you want ultimate accuracy, use Milwaukee... I completely agree.

Im only anecdotally using pinpoint with accuracy that works for me. I backup the hobby grade apex readings with salifert regularly. Im not running reactors or any of that, so im not loosing sleep on numbers.

CLICK TO VIEW

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As I said in another post, you want ultimate accuracy, use Milwaukee... I completely agree.

Im only anecdotally using pinpoint with accuracy that works for me. I backup the hobby grade apex readings with salifert regularly. Im not running reactors or any of that, so im not loosing sleep on numbers.

Yes sir…just sharing my experience’s with both as I pulled my hair out with PinPoint for about 5 years. When I bought a Milwaukee and Calibrated it I was shocked how quickly it calibrated. Very stable.

PinPont is like “All for Reef” the names are so catchy it sucks your right into them. :)

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my pinpoint was purchased in 2006 I just replaced the probe and it still works fine .

Try a Milwaukee when you get a chance or barrow one from a friend and play with it. You’ll be amazed how well they work.

Top Shelf Aquatics

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a machine that titrates the ph to figure out how much alkalinity is in the water, you need a ph probe to do it, well the thing I have used a ph probe to do it

Yes, that's what the article describes, except not automated.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shows up at $110 or maybe I overlooked something

I wrote the article in 2004, so it's not surprising the price is higher. What is surprising is that the exact same model number is still used. lol

Kazumi

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That’s funny I was literally just looking at this one, it sounds like it could be what I’m looking for, I have never heard of that website though
I have never used anything from them, but found them when I was looking at building some other electrical device. They seem to have a pretty good reputation.

Nutramar Foods

Wasabiroot

FW Convert and now Addict
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There are many, many perfectly suitable probes, and the best ones are very expensive and overkill for a reef tank. Ross type probes, for example. Great but very expensive.

I discuss what to look for in a probe here;

Selection of Combination pH Electrodes​

There are hundreds of different types and styles of pH electrodes. These vary in size, composition (glass or plastic sides, typically), shape, the nature of the glass membrane (even non-glass materials can be used), how that membrane is separated from the internal filling solution, (that is, single vs. double junction), whether the internal fluids are sealed or refillable, and a variety of other issues.

For most reef aquarists, the exact nature of the pH electrode doesn’t much matter. Nearly all can give suitable pH readings. Here is my opinion about what is most important to look for:

1. Selecting an epoxy body electrode instead of a glass body electrode will make it less likely that you will break it by accident. The glass bulb on the tip is still very fragile (I’ve broken many), but the bulb can be protected by a plastic shield to reduce the chance of breakage.
  2. If you intend on measuring pH directly in the aquarium or sump (rather than in a cup of water removed from the aquarium), then expect to occasionally get the whole electrode wet (by accident). If it is a refillable type which has a hole for adding more filling solution (usually KCl), then you might get aquarium water into the electrode. That can severely degrade performance by messing up the reference electrode. So selecting a sealed electrode may be a better choice.
  3. Some folks argue that a double junction electrode is preferable, and that is likely true. Without going into the design details, a double junction electrode makes it much less likely that there will be any exchange of ions between the aquarium and the filling solution through the glass bulb. This option may be especially important if you are using an internal reference electrode other than Ag/AgCl. For example, if it is a calomel reference electrode, it contains mercury. It is desirable to keep mercury salts out of the aquarium due to its toxicity, so a double junction is likely preferable in that case. Likewise, it is desirable to keep sodium and other seawater ions from entering the reference electrode, and a double junction prevents that to a much greater extent than a single junction. That aspect is more important if you leave the electrode in the aquarium water than if you put in into a storage solution after every use. In general, it is likely better to have a double junction
    than a single junction, but it may not result in appreciably better measurements.
  4. There are other attributes of certain electrodes that may make them more useful in laboratories, and hence justify prices that easily range to more than $350 for the electrode alone. There is not likely any significant advantage in using such electrodes for reef aquaria, however. Do not be worried about claims that you need a special electrode for high pH or high sodium environments. That is true for the most accurate measurements at high pH and high salinity, but aquarium water will be OK with a standard electrode, and even brief measurements at high pH (like limewater) will be fine.
An electrode that I have been using for the past few years is sold by Cole Parmer. It is catalog number U-59001-70. It has an epoxy body, is sealed, and has a double junction. I’m not certain what type of reference electrode it contains, but I believe it to be Ag/AgCl. Its list price is $60.
Bookmarking this knowledge drop

EGorman

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try a Milwaukee when you get a chance or barrow one from a friend and play with it. You’ll be amazed how well they work.
Seems there are a number of different Milwaukee pH probes out there - any suggested model numbers or sites to purchase from that are known to work with Neptune Apex?

Top Shelf Aquatics

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+3 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Seems there are a number of different Milwaukee pH probes out there - any suggested model numbers or sites to purchase from that are known to work with Neptune Apex?
Some of Milwaukee’s pH probes are compatible with Apex. There’s a few that have the same style connection, but others that don’t. As far as which probe to get I’d head over to Milwaukee’s website and get a double junction lab grade probe. I believe these two below will work. Double check it before you buy.

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
BSA
Back