White spot.... surely not?

Jennifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had white spot in my DT back in February. My fish were caught and copper treated at the correct dose for the correct period (Cupramine was used) and have been in the QT tank since then. I had been building up my corals while they were in the QT and no fish has been in that tank since February, the last wet thing was put in over 12 weeks ago...

I moved the fish (a pair of clowns and a royal gramma) back to the DT 5 weeks ago - all good, then on Saturday I noticed a single white spot on my black snowflakes tail. I see no more. Today I think I see what looks like one on the edge of the orange snowflakes ventral fin, and one on the royal grammas tail.

One spot on each fish.

How likely is this to be white spot again? fallow for well over 6 months and nothing new introduced in over 12 weeks. I had separate equipment for each tank, always worked in the DT before the QT... I'm gutted if it is again :disappointed-face:

If it is...
I'm upgrading my tank soon to a DD 1500, new rock/substrate etc to cycle, but want to move the rockwork and corals over once I've got it established and introduced any additional corals or inverts I can in the early stages. If i remove the fish and treat again, and move over rock and corals over while no fish are in the new system, am i likely to transfer the white spot with them if its been fallow for 90 days? I just don't want this debacle again :confused:

(sorry for the long post)

threebuoys

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand your concern, but don't rush to a decision. Give it a day or two. The spot should disappear then one or more appear several days later if it is truly ich. In the meantime. please provide pictures using white light to see if we can confirm or dismiss the diagnosis..

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
I had white spot in my DT back in February. My fish were caught and copper treated at the correct dose for the correct period (Cupramine was used) and have been in the QT tank since then. I had been building up my corals while they were in the QT and no fish has been in that tank since February, the last wet thing was put in over 12 weeks ago...

I moved the fish (a pair of clowns and a royal gramma) back to the DT 5 weeks ago - all good, then on Saturday I noticed a single white spot on my black snowflakes tail. I see no more. Today I think I see what looks like one on the edge of the orange snowflakes ventral fin, and one on the royal grammas tail.

One spot on each fish.

How likely is this to be white spot again? fallow for well over 6 months and nothing new introduced in over 12 weeks. I had separate equipment for each tank, always worked in the DT before the QT... I'm gutted if it is again :disappointed-face:

If it is...
I'm upgrading my tank soon to a DD 1500, new rock/substrate etc to cycle, but want to move the rockwork and corals over once I've got it established and introduced any additional corals or inverts I can in the early stages. If i remove the fish and treat again, and move over rock and corals over while no fish are in the new system, am i likely to transfer the white spot with them if its been fallow for 90 days? I just don't want this debacle again :confused:

(sorry for the long post)
To verify and assess, please post pics under white light intensity as they often pick up sand grains that adhere to their slime coating

OP
OP
J

Jennifish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These are the best I could do… it appears the one on the grammas tail has gone… so probably a sand particle…
IMG_7373.jpeg
IMG_7369.jpeg

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back