White Dot Midas

ThePodFather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anybody educated guesses on what this out-of-place white dot is on my Midas Blenny? The internet has successfully spooked me when it comes to any sort of white specks or dots on fish and this is my first one...

He only has this one dot and I honestly can't remember (or find any pictures) to tell if he had it when I picked him up from LFS. Thanks in advance for any opinions...I have a QT tank, supplies, and treatment ready to go. Only other inhabitants in tank are some soft corals and a mandarin dragonette.

photo_2024-07-01_14-38-15.jpg photo_2024-07-01_14-38-14.jpg photo_2024-07-01_14-38-12.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Anybody educated guesses on what this out-of-place white dot is on my Midas Blenny? The internet has successfully spooked me when it comes to any sort of white specks or dots on fish and this is my first one...

He only has this one dot and I honestly can't remember (or find any pictures) to tell if he had it when I picked him up from LFS. Thanks in advance for any opinions...I have a QT tank, supplies, and treatment ready to go. Only other inhabitants in tank are some soft corals and a mandarin dragonette.

photo_2024-07-01_14-38-15.jpg photo_2024-07-01_14-38-14.jpg photo_2024-07-01_14-38-12.jpg
looks to be a fin ray issue but need pics under bright white light intensity

OP
OP
T

ThePodFather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
looks to be a fin ray issue but need pics under bright white light intensity
Oke doke, bright white and some video if that helps. Included some of the mandarin as well, all these white specks were not there when introduced to the tank. Assuming velvet but new to this so not really sure.

photo_2024-07-01_16-32-53.jpg photo_2024-07-01_16-32-51.jpg

Attachments

• video_2024-07-01_16-32-48.mp4
    2.6 MB
  • video_2024-07-01_16-32-46.mp4
    1.2 MB

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
15   0   0
Oke doke, bright white and some video if that helps. Included some of the mandarin as well, all these white specks were not there when introduced to the tank. Assuming velvet but new to this so not really sure.

Thats lymphocystis which is viral and should clear with good water quality and diet However your fish have disease- Ich and all will need to be treated. The Mandarin goby is touchy with copper treatment and best treated with General cure or chloroquine phosphate and works for the other occupants.
Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.

OP
OP
T

ThePodFather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats lymphocystis which is viral and should clear with good water quality and diet However your fish have disease- Ich and all will need to be treated. The Mandarin goby is touchy with copper treatment and best treated with General cure or chloroquine phosphate and works for the other occupants.
Also monitor Ammonia levels while in quarantine with a reliable test kit and add aeration during treatment using an air stone.
The display tank will have to be kept fishless (FALLOW) for 6-8 weeks to assure the existing parasites go through their life cycle without a host fish and die off and with occupants exposed, they too should go into quarantine
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a tank from a second hand store or a starter kit from Walmart which most of the needed essentials.
Understood and much appreciated.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I agree that the blenny has Lymphocystis, and that isn't serious, it will go away on its own (but it may take a month or two and may get worse before it gets better).

The mandarin has some spots, but I think 4that might be sand, caught in the fish's mucus.

With ich, you'll want to watch for many salt grained white spots that come and go and change location day to day, but that generally increase in numbers.

Velvet causes rapid breathing and not eating, sometimes the fish will hang in the water current.

OP
OP
T

ThePodFather

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that the blenny has Lymphocystis, and that isn't serious, it will go away on its own (but it may take a month or two and may get worse before it gets better).

The mandarin has some spots, but I think 4that might be sand, caught in the fish's mucus.

With ich, you'll want to watch for many salt grained white spots that come and go and change location day to day, but that generally increase in numbers.

Velvet causes rapid breathing and not eating, sometimes the fish will hang in the water current.
Thanks Jay. I had mixed impressions. Half of me thought it might just be sand, other half decided to be cautious and make the post.

The mandarin is actually showing no other signs of diminished health. Normal movement, breathing, and constantly grazing on pods.

I only have one QT tank, so I made the decision to get the Midas in there with copper treatment. Meanwhile, mandarin stays in display with all the pods. No copper for her and I don't currently have any sort of treatment planned (just observation for now).

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back