Which will be easier for my wife to maintain?

besskurz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That is well thought out advice. I appreciate it. What model camera do you use? I had already thought about adding a camera but haven't looked into them yet.

I have a pretty low bioload on my tank, so if I have it in really good shape when I leave, water changes can possibly be cut out. I don't have any finicky corals or fish.

I don't have an LFS that is within an hour of me. I found one this morning who's website says they will service my area but it's $200+ a month because of my location. That seems steep for a twice a month service on a 40g tank that doesn't need much, so I will keep looking.
Kasa Smart Security Camera for...
But it does not have a very high quality image though.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com
OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it were me.. I would get a Sicce Ultra Zero or something like that.. run the tube to the washer waste (mine is close) or along enough one so she can empty in the toiet or sink Run the RODI to a brute trash can next to the tank..with a float valve to shut it off to prevent overflows. Get another Sicce Ultra Zero to pump it back in. I basicly do that now but my water changing station is in the garage and I use a stronger pump.

Mark the water volume you want to exchange with the return off.
Those are some good ideas. As I said in my other reply to you that I wrote before I read this, I plan on upgrading the ATO reservoir to a 20g and putting a float valve on it so she can just hook up and let it fill. If I can get my saltwater bin close enough to the tank I can make it easier for her to just pump water in and water out like you mentioned.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check with the waggy tail. I didn't see anything on their site about fish. B&B will come to Daphne according to their website but the extra mileage is of course at a premium.
Grew up in Fairhope but I have been gone for 15 years so my knowledge is a little dated. The folks at Waggy Tail used to have a great saltwater fish selection. They may have someone around who could help or be able to point you in the direction of someone who could help.

it’s really a shame.. Daphne used to have a fantastic LFS but it was a victim of the recession.

OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before my deployment for 9 months I considered having my wife take care of my tank and ended up selling it so she wouldn’t have to take care of it. Huge upgrade when I got home. To me just not worth the risk of her saying I hate this hobby. Don’t spend any money on it. If I were to have her do anything I would say just feed the tank once a day and too off the water when needed the biggest loss may be some corals. Better than losing the hobby or a wife.
I asked her about doing that and she really didn't want me to break it down and sell it at this point. But I certainly agree with you that I don't want to lose a wife or the hobby over added stress during this deployment. Hopefully with the advice of others here I can set up a system that keeps her stress level surrounding the situation relatively low.

AquaCave Logo Banner
OP
OP
BamaCoastPyrat

BamaCoastPyrat

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Have you considered an automatic water change setup? That would take away the biggest hassle imo.
I have but I can't figure out where to setup the line for the old water. I have 3 options for that line:

1. A line that is plumbed across the family room to the kitchen sink.
2. A line through an exterior wall.
3. A line up an interior wall, into the attic, and out somewhere

Number one will never get approved. Number two seems like a bad idea. And, number three sounds like it would cause more headache than it would solve.

When I build our new house I'm going to have to build a mop closet or something right next to where the tank gets setup.

nuxx

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Auto-feeder and automatic water changes / topoff / dosing will solve a lot.

We went on a few 1-2 week trips and my MIL would stay and watch the tank and dogs.

I'd just prep food and freeze it for her. She didn't have to do anything else.

If I had an automatic feeder I'd be golden :p

workhz

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would either A) break it down and sell/give away or B) add camera, wifi plugs and just delegate adding top off water and C) if you want water changes, mix up enough for one or two and facetime guiding through the process ... in that order.

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would add an apex and have it do auto water changes along with testing and dosing .
most of it you will be able to do remotely ( for the record I don’t own or use any automation on my system )
But if I had to go away I would want some piece of mind and not burden my family with my chores .

it would depend on how much your wife wants to do with the tank and how much time she has aside from caring for the 4 children and other life chores .

moz71

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My personal opinion based on what you have in tank. Don’t change anything and even see going without water changes. I have reduced to very little water changes now. I would rather deal with a slight algae problem when return them deal with an angry wife who now hates the tank or worse you for leaving it to her to deal with. Basically give her as little as possible to deal with. Proper water level feed etc.

Top Shelf Aquatics

fisheriesdoc

Community Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will check with the waggy tail. I didn't see anything on their site about fish. B&B will come to Daphne according to their website but the extra mileage is of course at a premium.
Pretty sure they no longer have fish, but someone there might be willing to help or have a recommendation

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
FM
Back