Which anemone has the most potent sting (to humans)?

BRS

MoshJosh

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious. . . I'm sure I have been stung by my rock flower, mini carpet, and bubble tip but I couldn't feel a thing. Can any commonly kept nems hurt humans. Are any nems (kept in aquaria or just out in the wild) able to kill a human (not counting anaphylaxis)?

BRS

ISpeakForTheSeas

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious. . . I'm sure I have been stung by my rock flower, mini carpet, and bubble tip but I couldn't feel a thing. Can any commonly kept nems hurt humans. Are any nems (kept in aquaria or just out in the wild) able to kill a human (not counting anaphylaxis)?
I'm not sure which is the most potent, but there are quite a few that could hurt humans, including at least one or two that are commonly kept (such as the Haddoni Anemone) - and yes, some could kill you without you suffering from anaphylaxis:

"A few species possess highly toxic venoms and are hazardous for humans. The Hell’s Fire sea anemone (Actinodendron plumosum) is named for the severe skin ulceration caused by its sting [10,20]. Envenomation by the sea anemone Stichodactyla haddoni caused shock and organ failure, including fulminant hepatitis [22,24]. Phyllodiscus semoni (P. semoni) is another sea anemone dangerous to humans. The sting usually induces severe dermatitis with ulceration and profound swelling in the regions of contact [18,21]. More serious sequelae of envenomation by P. semoni include the development of acute renal failure without evidence of dysfunction of other organs [18]."

Some Condylactis anemones are also somewhat dangerous, but I'm not sure of which species at the moment.

My source:

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Haddoni and rose anemones

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Regarding some of the less potent/toxic anemones (aiptasia, majano, bubble tip, condy, etc), I think some of it comes down to how sensitive any individual is to the particular nematocysts. A nem that causes me skin irritation may not affect you at all, and visa versa.

Rtaylor

Valuable Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As far as commonly kept anemones, the only one that gives me a noticeable sting and leaves red welts on me personally is h.Magnifica. But, each person is different and can react differently to anemone stings.

vaguelyreeflike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not true anemones but we had wild caught australian elegances and my god could you tell it was from australia. Immediate sting on impact and felt like it bit me at first lol. Stung for about an hour after. Other than that, we had two 9-10” bubble tips surrendered to us and they got me pretty good too, though i have yet to feel worse than the elegance.

vaguelyreeflike

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
as others stated, it really depends on your skin too. Some people have (literal) thicker skin. I personally have very sensitive skin and usually have eczema on my hands and arms, which equals raw skin, so bubble tips and really any nem can do me good for a few minutes to an hour. Other people probably not as much.

Nutramar Foods

Miami Reef

I’m the problem, it’s me
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ever seen an anemone out of water, it's literally a ball of SNOUT. and ppl pay $800 of real money for a ball of snout. Lol
Have you ever seen zoanthids out of the water? They look like brown pimples.

Who would pay over $40 for a frag of brown pimples?

BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Biota Marine Life
Back