When is my first water change?

Josiah3127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello everyone,

So I have my first 30 gallon tank setup. We have 3 fish in there now. 2 small clowns, and a small damse. We had just the tank, water, sand and rock setup for about 2 weeks before adding those 3 fish. We also put some of the jumpstart in there.

When will we need to do our first water change? We have done a few tests. Amonia, nitrite and nitrate are all slightly evelated but nothing crazy.

If I understand my research right, I’m waiting for ammonia to spike, and then nitrite and once my nitrate is elevated, is that when I do a water change?

What exactly do I need to be watching for?

GatorGreg

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I mean the ideal thing would have been to wait to add fish until your tank was showing NO ammonia and showing NITRATES. So I’m not sure what research you’re referencing that guided you in the direction you’re on. As cycling with fish has become pretty unpopular for quite a while.

So at this point I’d do water changes if and when the ammonia gets too high to keep ammonia levels so down it doesn’t hurt your fish. Keeping some prime on hand probably would be smart.

Pink Reef

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You should see ammonia go up then nitrites. As the nitrates go up the ammonia and nitrites should fall to zero. As you have fish in there already you may want to remove them during the ammonia and nitrite spikes as this is harmful for them. Once your ammonia and nitrites are at zero your cycle is complete

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for elevated nitrate. When it starts to accumulate then change the water. 10-20ppm, do a change.

You might never see a bump in ammonia or nitrite levels with typical test kits

OP
OP
Josiah3127

Josiah3127

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Watch for elevated nitrate. When it starts to accumulate then change the water. 10-20ppm, do a change.

You might never see a bump in ammonia or nitrite levels with typical test kits
How much of the water would you change out? Also, would that mess up the cycling process changing the water out that quick?

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How much of the water would you change out? Also, would that mess up the cycling process changing the water out that quick?
If you take all the water out and quickly refill you still wouldn't "mess up" the cycle, but fish (and coral) might not appreciate the sudden change. 10% is a good number to start.

TOP 10 Trending Threads

HAVE YOU EVER KEPT A RARE/UNCOMMON FISH, CORAL, OR INVERT? SHOW IT OFF IN THE THREAD!

• Yes!

Votes: 32 45.7%
  • Not yet, but I have one that I want to buy in mind!

Votes: 9 12.9%
  • No.

Votes: 26 37.1%
  • Other (please explain).

Votes: 3 4.3%
Back