Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys, I'm a huge fan of live rock which I'm sure some of you are aware from my previous messages. I was just wondering as to what you guys' opinions are regarding how much biodiversity is enough...lately shops have been getting in live rock straight out of the info pacific in stock which was in the ocean a week or less ago which I absolutely love the coralline on as well as the sheer biodiversity which must be present but surely at some point it must be pointless adding more since we all know bacterial strains do compete with each other anyway. When is enough enough in your opinion in terms of bacterial diversity?

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starting off a system not much is really needed IMO. I've been happy using 1/4 to 1/2 lb per gallon. I'm sure you've seen Aquabiomics article. A more important question mifght bo how do we maintain a healthy diversity and help corals maintian healthy microbiomes.

Reefer Matt

Reef Cave Dweller
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So guys, I'm a huge fan of live rock which I'm sure some of you are aware from my previous messages. I was just wondering as to what you guys' opinions are regarding how much biodiversity is enough...lately shops have been getting in live rock straight out of the info pacific in stock which was in the ocean a week or less ago which I absolutely love the coralline on as well as the sheer biodiversity which must be present but surely at some point it must be pointless adding more since we all know bacterial strains do compete with each other anyway. When is enough enough in your opinion in terms of bacterial diversity?
After a tank is mature (1 yr+) I don't even think about it. As coral are added from various places, it all contributes to biodiversity, imo.

Nutramar Foods
OP
OP
livinlifeinBKK

livinlifeinBKK

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For starting off a system not much is really needed IMO. I've been happy using 1/4 to 1/2 lb per gallon. I'm sure you've seen Aquabiomics article. A more important question mifght bo how do we maintain a healthy diversity and help corals maintian healthy microbiomes.
Very true...and yes I've seen the Aquabiomics articles and videos. I'm kinda a "live rock junkie" i guess you could say haha...when I seen these pieces freshly collected from the ocean i almost can't help myself (especially given the prices here). I just don't think these pieces are contributing much to my systems at this point. I added a couple pieces to my pico a couple weeks back but regarding my other systems i don't think they would benefit a whole lot if any...

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%

Ecotech Marine
Back