What's your process when you get new live rock? Particularly, how do you handle inspection for unwanted hitchhikers?

BRS

Daniel@R2R

Living the Reef Life
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What's your routine when you get new live rock for your tank? I'm really excited because I've got some coming for the new tank, but I know I need to check it for unwanted hitchhikers like gorilla crabs and mantis shrimps. What process do you guys put your new live rock through to be sure you keep the good stuff but isolate anything you might not want to keep in a mixed reef?

Top Shelf Aquatics

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
What's your routine when you get new live rock for your tank? I'm really excited because I've got some coming for the new tank, but I know I need to check it for unwanted hitchhikers like gorilla crabs and mantis shrimps. What process do you guys put your new live rock through to be sure you keep the good stuff but isolate anything you might not want to keep in a mixed reef?
I place mine in a tub with tank water for up to 2 hours in a dark/low light area allowing any creepy crawlers to emerge from hiding and come out. If I see nothing, I agitate rock and enter it into aquarium.

Nutramar Foods
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
The Random Flow Generator® Nozzle by VCA
Back