What would happen if my foxface stung my angelfish?

Mark Goode

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I thought it probably the best for this question.

I've a one spot foxface and a singapore angel. There is no aggression here, and they are usually to be found swimming together. But just sometimes, the angel gets a bit bossy. When this occurs the foxface raises his dorsal spines and points them at the angel.

I'm frequently amazed that the angel hasn't managed to sting itself. Then I thought, perhaps it has. I don't know what the result would be. Anyone know?

Thanks.

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

Slocke

Wrasse Nerd
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The venom from the sting isn’t particularly dangerous just painful. It is similar to other fish spine venoms such as those in stingrays and catfish. It could cause heart failure if the shock is high enough but I know that is rare in human's at least and as so many of us keep foxes without issue I wouldn’t worry about other fish either.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve seen wounds on fish that presumably came from a foxface - these healed up with no real issue.
Jay

www.dinkinsaquaticgardens.com

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+12 /0 /-0
Wisconsin - Florida delayed due 2 hurricane damage
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
Sorry if this is the wrong forum, I thought it probably the best for this question.

I've a one spot foxface and a singapore angel. There is no aggression here, and they are usually to be found swimming together. But just sometimes, the angel gets a bit bossy. When this occurs the foxface raises his dorsal spines and points them at the angel.

I'm frequently amazed that the angel hasn't managed to sting itself. Then I thought, perhaps it has. I don't know what the result would be. Anyone know?

Thanks.
Its dorsal fins are its' defense mechanism and is what it uses to defend itself. Occasionally there will be a sting inflicted. Same with tangs, they will use their tail scalpel to swipe in defense and leave an occasional lined injury.
Saltwater fish heal quickly and on their own. Just keep an eye on area for healing and not infection.

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Pirates Reef Corals
Back