What to do when you cannot get rid of corals?

BRS

nea

Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Reefer 250 that has been running for about 5+ years and I have reached a point where I am needing to cut back corals because things are crowding each other out. The issues are these:

a. taking to a local store gives very low ball store credit
b. selling through an app like facebook marketplace or offer up got lots of views but no interest
c. shipping is not plausible or is cost prohibitive
d. not particularly fond of throwing coral in the trash

what does everyone else do when they reach this point?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+8 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have a Reefer 250 that has been running for about 5+ years and I have reached a point where I am needing to cut back corals because things are crowding each other out. The issues are these:

a. taking to a local store gives very low ball store credit
b. selling through an app like facebook marketplace or offer up got lots of views but no interest
c. shipping is not plausible or is cost prohibitive
d. not particularly fond of throwing coral in the trash

what does everyone else do when they reach this point?
It's already been said, lower your expectations of a corals worth on the hobbyists market.
Not many ever get what the stores charge. There is a big difference between the 2.
I see alot of people trying to sell corals on FB groups in my area, but only a couple are still there a month or two later

Another thought I had is how are the pictures you use to try and make the sales on FB?
There is a skill to that and a average blurry picture isn't going to generate interest.
Pose the coral for a glamour shot. Don't try and change the colors or enhance them, just make them the best that you can.

Upvote 0

nereefpat

5000 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Using a Stylophora as an example:

Most people that would be in the market to buy a purple stylo are going to be reefers just getting into sticks, or at least just getting into SPS. Most of those people would love to buy a 20$ frag, but don't want to buy a 100$ colony. In a store, if the right person comes in looking for a colony for a display, a 100$ purple stylo might sell eventually. I saw a hollywood stunner colony about 8-10" circle for sale in a store the other day for 150%, I think. Same thing. A small frag is worth 20 bucks, perhaps, but a hobbyist will have trouble trying to sell a big colony for big retail store money.

Personally, I have to throw away cuttings of green slimer, red monti cap, hollywood stunner chalice, etc. I don't have anyone to sell, or even give, them to. Nearest reef store is almost 3 hours away. I could try to ship them for 20$ bucks a piece. I could probably come up with a pack of 5-6 for 100 bucks, but shipping is a pain and would eat up all the money. So in the trash they go.

Upvote 0

mdb_talon

2500 Club Member
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
View Badges
Reaction score
Review score
+0 /0 /-0
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m having the same problem. Not sure if the current marketplace setup is better than the old.

My vote on that is definetely it is not. I rarely ever even use it anymore it just annoys me. Used to look at it everyday. I still look every once in awhile and may eventually use to sell stuff but will complain about lol

Upvote 0
BRS

Polyp polynomial: How many heads do you start with when buying zoas?

• One head is enough to get started.

Votes: 27 10.6%
  • 2 to 4 heads.

Votes: 145 57.1%
  • 5 heads or more.

Votes: 65 25.6%
  • Full colony.

Votes: 10 3.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 7 2.8%
Ecotech Marine
Back